Is Addison SUPER lazy or am I feeding too little? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
Is Addison SUPER lazy or am I feeding too little?

Since I've finally decided to give Addison a little bit of dry food (he really seemed to miss it) I figured I may as well do some calculations so he doesn't start gaining weight.

If normal cats eat between 200-300 calories a day... I'm feeding much too little! Am I doing the calculations wrong?

For the Wellness, I think the highest calorie count was 181 per can. I was feeding him only 2/3 of a can per day and most days he wasn't even finishing that. But it only comes out to about 120 calories!! Is he really just THAT lazy or am I supposed to be calculating on a dry matter basis? I know you're supposed to with percentages, but I do calories work the same way?

Its not like he's losing weight... if anything he could stand to lose a pound... he doesn't play much, gets bursts where he'll run straight across the house once or twice but that's about it. Does he just not have a very high need for calories or what?

And if 120 calories seems to work just fine... should I just do like 1/2 can per day and a few pieces of kibble? (The dry food is 445 cal/cup... so for the remaining 30 or so calories... its not even 1/10 of a cup!!)

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
My cats eat about 2/3 can a day. It is perfectly normal.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
He's an adult, 2-3 years (adopted him, who knows) and very much enjoys his food... he just rarely finishes the full amount.

I mean he's not losing weight or acting differently or anything (and I know some companies tend to tell you to feed a little more so you have to buy more of their food...) but I just thought it sounded like soooooo much less than he should be getting.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page