cats and leukemia - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

cats and leukemia

i have a question,i hope someone can answer.my sister has a kitten that is not vaccinated agaist luekemia,it is 13 wks. old.well she had a friend over her house that has had a cat that recently died of leuk. and she has other cats that im sure are carries.what is the percentage that the kitten can pick this up off of the woman.i raised the kitten and now i am so worried,that she will pick it up now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Premier Cat

From what I understand it can be passed from person or object that has been exposed but it's unlikely. It's generally spread by siliva and blood. I would get the blood test run though to make sure (check with the vet 'cause they may tell you to wait a couple of weeks). And then get the vaccines done if you think she may be exposed again. Why risk it?

Victoria
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

you are right,but the vaccine is not 100% ,but maybe it is a good idea to do it anyway.i am so angry,now i will have to worry about this before i can get her tested.her mom and siblings were tested and they came out negative,but because this woman was in the house with her ahhh,im just so mad.i hate it when people get animals and dont bother to vaccinate them they just leave them outdoors to fend for themselves,that is what this woman does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Premier Cat

I know, it's so frustrating. No, no vaccine is %100 but it's the best we have right now. Try not to worry too much, as I said it's unlikely that he caught it from the woman. The virus can't live for very long outside the body. They usually say to bleach everything as a precausion. I think your kitty will be fine.

Victoria
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2005, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

thanks nanook,would it help to give the kitten a bath.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 03:31 AM
Premier Cat

I don't know. Probably not, but it can't hurt if he's old enough.

Victoria
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 03:55 AM

The kitten CANNOT catch Leukaemia from the owner of a positive cat, so please don't worry. I work with positive & negative cats and only have to take basic hygiene precautions. @It is a contagious disease, but can only be transmitted via direct contact, and even then its not a huge risk unless the cats are fighting, mating or grooming each other. I don't think you have anything to worry about here, by all means get the kitten tested, but if she is positive, she had the disease before coming into contact with this lady.

Oh, and bathing the kitten would not do anything even if she had caught it.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

thanks emma you made me feel a whole lot better .
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 03:32 PM

I'm glad I could dispel a few myths for you
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Premier Cat

emma is correct, however, acording to my vet (and Cornell University) the virus CAN survive outside the body for a short period of time. They don't think that it posses much of a threat BUT they don't know for sure. That is why you should always wash your hands after handling a positive cat and bleach the area. I didn't mean to make it sound like it was something you should worry about though. As I said, I think your kitty is fine.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page