Am I feeding my babies yucky food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Am I feeding my babies yucky food?

Before I got my kittens (year old now) I did some research and decided Nutro Max kitten was the way to go. Yesterday I noticed one of my kittens has ALOT of dandruff by her tail and about 2 inches up her back. It got me reading about food again. I'm thinking that feeding nutro Max dry kitten exclusively isn't a good idea anymore. I am on a semi-tight budget and am somewhat limited by brand due to location but I want to feed my kittens the best I can afford. The Nutro Max costs me $29 for 20lbs and I'd like to stick to that range if I can.

What is a better brand for my kittens????

Would adding regular canned food (friskies, 9 lives, fancy feast etc to the diet add enough oil/fat to their diets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 06:30 AM

California Natural is a very good brand. Simple recipe, nutritious food.
I can highly recommend it.

If on that food you still see dandruff after 6 weeks, your little one has special nutritional needs that require further fine tuning of the diet.
(Some cats have increased individual needs for certain nutrients and if those needs are not met we see a variety of health problems including problems with skin and coat.)
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 07:34 AM

One more thing.

Quote:
Would adding regular canned food (friskies, 9 lives, fancy feast etc to the diet add enough oil/fat to their diets?
I have actually seen cats develop dandruff on these canned foods, so I would have to recommend against adding them to the diet.

If you want to add canned food, look for the good brands such as Innova, Pet Guard, Wellness, and some others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 09:04 AM

Our cats had bad dandruff on certain foods, we feed evo which is out of the price range you are looking for, but we also had luck with chicken soup for the cat lovers sould which is pretty cheap. I know they have a kitten formula.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Before I got my kittens (year old now)
Actually, if the kittens are one year old, they are adults now, and they should have adult maintenance formula cat food. They should no longer be fed kitten formula foods.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 10:58 AM

I would recommend:

Felidae (it's all life stages which means it's good for kittens and adults)- it has 4 proteins and only brown rice as the grain

http://www.canidae.com - they have a store locator on the site

Natural Balance- It's all life stages and can also be readily found at Petco and Pet Supplies Plus, along with some local retailers

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/products/catfood.html

Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover's Soul

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloversso ... tml#Kitten

My kitty gets dandruff when they are on foods that contain any type of corn. I'm feeding Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea because one of my cats has asthma and allergies.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

I called the two places in my area that carry specialty food and I can get a 18lb bag of Chicken Soup for $24.95
<or>
a 16.5lb bag of Natural Balnce for $28.95.

I would prefer to buy the cheaper, obviosly, but is the quality equal?

If I added some canned to the diet (the good stuff) would I decrease the dry food amount?
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 07:27 PM

Quote:
If I added some canned to the diet (the good stuff) would I decrease the dry food amount?
You would have to to make sure the kitties would not be getting too many calories.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Would it be ok to add a little warm tap water to dry food?
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 07:36 PM

No. You can't make "canned" food that way

This article tells you why you shouldn't add water to dry food:

http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/bpo_ch4.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page