What To Expect When Justice Comes Home? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

What To Expect When Justice Comes Home?

Hi everyone, I know when Justice gets to come home that the doc will have "going home instructions" but I was wondering if some of you here could tell me what to expect after her being spayed. I'm new to this, never had a female cat before Justice so I'm really up in the air about how she's going to do and what I need to do for her? I normally use Yesterday News cat litter, or regular litter when funds are low. Do I need to force fluids or babyfood chicken still? Do the vets send them home on pain meds? How soon till she has a bowl movement and should there still be any puss and blood from the pyomera coming out of her? How about her laying on a heating pad or using a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel for comfort for her to nuzzle up with? I can't wait till she heals completely! Any advice from people who have been through this would be grately appreciated. Also, is it better for her to have one of the Elizabeth collars on before she comes home so she doesn't lick at her stitches when I'm busy with dinner or cleanning or anything that takes my attention away from her? How long will she be sore for? Thanks so much in advance.

~LilJoe~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Banned

I'd suggest taking home an elizabethan collar "just in case", also ask the vet you give you some liquid pain med to take home also "just in case". She'll already be on pain med when she comes home, but might still need something extra after it wears off. I'd discuss it with your vet. Many cats don't need any, or the collar. I'd just feel more comfortable paying a little extra and having them ready to hand if needed, rather than worrying about it in the middle of the night. I don't think a heating pad is necessary this time of year. The other things I don't think you really need to worry about. Cats generally do just fine.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Tim,
Thank you very much for your time and advice, I sure do appreciate it. I'm going to ask the vet about pain meds and the collar, I'd feel better myself if I had those things here just in case as well. She's already been in enough pain and I don't want her to have to go through anymore.

~LilJoe~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Banned

Let us know how she's doing!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 02:34 PM

I hope she's ok!

If she has external sutures in place, then yes, use a collar. Most cats don't need pain medication after routine spey surgery, though she might well get sent home with some since her surgery was a pyometra. I would imgine she'll also stay on antibiotics for a while. Now that she is speyed she will be feeling so much better, so should be eating & going to the toilet normally when she gets home. Check her wound daily for any signs of swelling, oozing, or any other changes. But do be careful when lifting/handling her, as her abdomen will be a little tender for a few days post op. If the infection is cleared effectively, she should be back to her normal self after a week or so. It is advisable to keep your house warm, and have somewhere comfy for her to relax & sleep. Don't expect her to able to jump or climb stairs initially, so have her dishes/litter tray in easy access for her. Oh, and the most important thing of all.....lots and lots of TLC, and give her an extra snuggle from me!

Ems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page