Kitten wont eat solids - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Kitten wont eat solids

I got a new kitten 3 weeks ago, been giving him milk to keep him going but i just cannot get him to eat solids. Tried fish and chicken as well as several different types of standard foods but he wont go near them, so the older one ends up eating them so now hes getting fat.

help please

Edit zalensia, please dont type in all capitals it is against forum rules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Banned

How old is the kitten?

When you say "chicken" and "fish", do you mean real chicken and fish, or chicken and fish catfood? And what do you mean by "standard" food?

Thanks...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

chicken and fish as in the real stuff and kitten food and standard stuff as in whatever brands they had at the supermarket and pet store
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

and the kitten is 11 weeks old as of tomorrow
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 01:17 PM
Banned

OK, that's old enough to eat kitten food. I'd suggest putting some canned kitten food on your finger, try to get him to lick it off your finger, and if he does that, move your finger (with food on it) toward a bowl with canned kitten food in it. So he gets the idea it's good food to eat and where to find it. If he won't lick it off your finger, then stick a little on his lips so he has to lick it off himself, then go from there.

That's the only gimmick I can think of. Perhaps someone else with have some more suggestions.

You do have the food and water well separated from the litter box, right?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 02:48 PM

What kind of milk are you giving him? Personally, I would cut out the milk altogether and stick to one good quality brand tinned kitten food, which you could try heating up a little in the microwave or with warm water (make sure you test it first). He needs kitten food to get all the nutrients he needs, and will not get these from human foods.

First, I would get him a full check up at the vets to explore the possibility of a medical problem. He needs to be treated for worms also, with products from your vets.

I would also recommend feeding your kitten seperately from your other cat. The kitten needs around 4 meals per day. Don't let your older cat eat the kittens food, as it will cause weight gain.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page