Questions about adding canned to all dry diet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Questions about adding canned to all dry diet

I've decided to feed my cats half canned and I have a few questions....

One of my cats, Alice, is a light eater. After she has had her fill (she tries to bury it) can I just refridgerate the unused portion until next feeding?

To make the servings the right size for each of them do I just cut half of the dry out (reccomended serving size) and add half of the canned in?

Should I mix the wet into the dry or feed dry one time and wet the other?

Should I heat up the refrigerated leftovers? How do I do it without spoiling the food?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
People say that uneaten canned cat food should be refrigerated within thirty minutes, but the thirty-minute estimate is based on outdoor conditions.

If your apartment is air-conditioned (75 degrees and under) you can safely leave out canned cat food for up to three hours.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 01:30 AM

I recently switched my cat from all dry to all canned. I asked my vet about heating up the refrigerated food. I was told you can give it to them right from the fridge, which my cat is very happy with. I've read some put it in the microwave for a short period of time but you have to make sure there is no hotspots in the food. I know the Wellness website tells you how much of their dry and wet to feed if you are going 1/2 and 1/2 according to the weight of the animal. But I'm not sure of other petfoods. I just give my cat the amount I know she will eat in one sitting and put the rest in the fridge. If there is any left in her bowl I throw that out after 30 minutes. I feed my cat 5 small meals a day. I tried mixing dry with the wet and she wouldn't touch it. Now all she will eat is canned. So maybe try it separate and mixed and see what they like or what is easier for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 06:51 AM

A word of caution

Those of you who feed cold food straight out of the refrigerator please stop and think and give the food a chance to reach room temperature before you let your cat eat it. The fact is that eating cold food leads to digestive problems and sooner or later many owners start seeing vomiting. Vomiting from cold food is one problem that is easy to prevent.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 07:04 AM

Meaile,

to find answers to some of your questions please read this information:

http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowmie
A word of caution

Those of you who feed cold food straight out of the refrigerator please stop and think and give the food a chance to reach room temperature before you let your cat eat it. The fact is that eating cold food leads to digestive problems and sooner or later many owners start seeing vomiting. Vomiting from cold food is one problem that is easy to prevent.
I wish you would come and tell my cats this. They both like it better cold than warm. I've been giving it to them like this for over a year and not once have they had a so called digestive problem.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 10:06 AM

Consider yourself lucky.
Many people do find themselves in a situation where they have to deal with digestive upset from cold food.
Like with everything else, nobody can tell ahead of time which cat will get sick and which cat won't. There are plenty who do, that's why you will always find warnings about cold food on different websites and cat forums.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 10:26 AM

PS....

When it happens, owners go crazy trying to figure out why the cat is sick.
They try a bunch of different things and nothing works.
On a busy forum half a dozen people get involved asking questions making suggestions. Still nothing.
Then someone who knows about cold food causing problems asks the magic question: do you serve cold food? And bingo, problem solved.

This is one piece of information out of many you can find on the Net that mentions this:
http://www.delmars.com/kitcats/catsfeed.htm
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Meaile,

to find answers to some of your questions please read this information:

http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html
This article makes feeding my cats "properly" even more difficult.

Quote:
The phrase "natural dry cat food" is an oxymoron. There are an increasing number of "natural" dry cat food manufacturers entering the market. At one time, Flint River Ranch was the dominant "natural" dry cat food manufacturer. Now a new one seems to pop up about every week. They add ingredients to their food to make it look healthier and invariably package the foods in earth tone-colored bags. It is most certainly not healthier. These manufacturers will tell you their food is designed to be exactly like what a cat would eat naturally, just in a dry form. What "dry form" food would a cat ever encounter in the wild? Biscuits leaping across the desert plain? This is the key problem: "in a dry form." Between the addition of grains and removal of water, natural or not, it is not healthy food for your cat.

Quote:
I believe these natural pet food manufacturers are even more outlandish (if that is possible) than the mainstream manufacturers. They are playing to a particular market: those people with the means to purchase a more expensive product, those who have a cat who may have experienced some sort of health problem due to another brand of cat food (although manufacturers of "prescription diets" may have a firmer hold on that market), but there are certainly those in the mix who are aware of some of the problems associated with grocery store brand cat food, or those who simply want a more natural product to feed their cats. Natural is best, but this does not pertain to dry cat food. There is nothing natural about dry cat food.
So according to this no matter what dry food my cats are eating they are doomed.

I understand that feeding dry is not ideal for my cats and if I had a choice the would be running through the open fields of the high desert, where I live, catching mice and lizards.

Quote:
Perhaps these dry-food-fed cats are just barely getting by with the amount and quality of protein available in dry food
Quote:
When fed a dry food diet (which has less than 10 percent moisture), unless they drink a lot of water, which most cats do not, they are in a constant state of dehydration.
So until I can afford to feed them a "Meat & Bone" diet they will continue to "barely get by" in the "constant state of dehydration".

My poor cats.

Until then I will continue making them sick on the half canned half dry diet.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 09:51 PM

You didn't quote the parts that answered your questions from your previous post. So you really didn't get anything out of this article that you easily could have.

The point was not to get you to feed a meat and bones diet but to supply answers to your questions. Your questions. Questions you asked. To clarify things you were inquiring about.

Since you had such a great time making fun of this article, here is another one for you to make fun of:

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=017

And I honestly hope you will never have reason to regret your attitude regarding this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page