peanut still pooping in the tub!!!!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

peanut still pooping in the tub!!!!!!!

i posted this a few months back, but there are new developments. sorry, this is long... my fiance has a female cat, peanut, who is about 1.5 years old. she goes through phases where she poops in the tub. it's very sporadic. i tried to figure out why she did it: i speculated that she was mad at tim because she did it when he was gone for long periods of time or when we locked her out of the bedroom at night (she is a terror). but after some helpful hints from all of you, we tried adding a litter box & changing her litter but, in the end, had to resort to either keeping the bathroom door shut or risking a pile of cat poo in the tub...

to make matters worse, i just moved in with my two kitties. we hoped some of peanut's bad behaviors would go away... that she would learn by watching my good girls. well, we were wrong. she has now taken to not only pooping but urinating in the tub as well. i can abide by other 'cat-like' behaviors, but NOT bad litter-box behavior.

please help... some background/info: we have FOUR covered litterboxes. i use yesterday's news litter (we've tried less and more). peanut poops ALOT (i have yet to monitor it)... and her poops are very, very large. i say this is strange because she is smaller than my two so you'd think the piles would be proportionate!! and they REEK. tim was feeding her natural balance dry and he was drastically over-feeding her. he began gradually lowering her intake of dry about 5 months ago. i've begun feeding her nature's variety wet in addition to her dry for about three weeks. the other day, when scooping solids, i found one of her poops with a brown slime around it. i freaked, thinking it was a worm, but i think it was just mucous.

i did a big search and read some other posts... i am worried. i know i should take her to the vet, and i'll take her to my cat-only clinic but i wanted to bounce this off you guys first. she seems fine, but there are so many factors to consider. from what i've observed, it's done out of spite... i just want to make sure she's healthy.

THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 04:05 PM

Quote:
peanut poops ALOT (i have yet to monitor it)... and her poops are very, very large. i say this is strange because she is smaller than my two so you'd think the piles would be proportionate!! and they REEK. tim was feeding her natural balance dry and he was drastically over-feeding her. he began gradually lowering her intake of dry about 5 months ago. i've begun feeding her nature's variety wet in addition to her dry for about three weeks. the other day, when scooping solids, i found one of her poops with a brown slime around it. i freaked, thinking it was a worm, but i think it was just mucous.
Colitis. You are describing stools typical of colitis.

This cat needs a grain-free canned diet to start with. No dry food, no canned food with any kind of grain. Only easy to digest food thay will produce much smaller stools and not more often than once a day.

You should also take her to a good, caring, competent vet and have her checked for urinary problems and get an X-ray of the intestines. At this point you need to find out whether the instestines are thickened.

Also, every veterinarian who deals with behavior problems and every behaviorist will tell you that bringing more cats into the household will only make elimination problems worse. It never ever goes the other way.

If I were you I would also put a great deal of effort into trying different cat litters for this kitty. Among other litters make sure you also try Cat Attract.
While you experiment with new litters leave the one she is using in place.
Just add to it, in one or more extra litter boxes, don't replace it until you find one she will want to use consistently.

Digestive problems are an important reason for litter box avoidance.
With urinating outside the box as well you need to find out whether a urinary problem is also involved.

For the record, cats are incapable of doing things because they are mad.
That's human reasoning and cats are incapable of human reasoning.

You have a sick and in all likelihood very unhappy cat. Both the health issues and the psychological issues will have to be dealt with. With patience, love, understanding and kindness.

Quote:
from what i've observed, it's done out of spite...
No, it isn't. Let me repeat, cats are incapable of human reasoning that would result in angry or spiteful behavior.

We can start working on these issues in earnest after you have the results of the physical. Please be sure that a complete chemistry profile and CBC is also included in the exam. Get a copy of the results for yourself when they are in, you'll need it to look at certain things.

Make sure they do the urine test from a sterile sample. If her bladder is not full when you take her in, leave her at the clinic for a few hours until there is enough urine in the bladder for the sample.
That's the only way to get reliable results.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 04:38 PM

I agree that Peanut needs to get to a vet. Something is definitely up. I have a cat with megacolon. Basically megacolon is caused when the nerves in the colon do not function properly and because of this the colon is chronically enlarged and the stool gets bulked up and cannot be passed. I am managing it with meds. I don't think this is what Peanut is suffering from because he wouldn't be pooping at all. But my cat almost died because of my procrastinating in getting him to the vet. It all started when he was not pooping in his box...then lack of appetite...then lethargic...then a mucus-like discharge started coming out of his rectum. That's when I decided to take him to the vet. The poor thing had so much stool backed up in his colon that it was hurting him to even move. There is absolutely something going on and whether it's colitis or megacolon or something else you will save you and your cat from further suffering if you get him to the vet now. I don't actively post on this forum, I belong to another one that I am active in...but I do read the posts here from time to time and I just had to jump in because this really hit home with me. You need to remember that cats WANT to use their litterboxes, when they don't they are telling us something is wrong...it is our job to figure out what it is. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 04:40 PM

Sorry I referred to Peanut as "he". My bad.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

i hear you about the spite thing... my fiance keeps saying thats what it is. because he's upset, really. i will speak to him about taking her to my vet as soon as possible. i may even take her tomorrow... my vet is excellent, they are the best in the area for cats. i know it's important to react quickly because i almost lost my lola to renal failure, but i saw that she wasn't feeling well and if i hadn't taken her in when i did, she would have died.

after doing my research earlier, i thought colitis, too. yikes. poor peanut. any suggestions for a grain-free canned food that is decent? of course, because of the multiple cats, it's best to feed them all the same thing. i just went through this because my calico, mabel is allergic to chicken. i had to switch all of them to venison/green pea!

thanks for the involved suggestions to solve my involved problem! i feel really bad about peanut. i'll do everything i can to get her happy and healthy asap.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 06:29 PM

If you stop feeding dry food, you will have to find out whether venison and green pea is a good choice for Peanut. A lot depends on how much carbohydrate she can tolerate.
Other choices might be Wellness - but not the fish flavors, and Prairie brand rabbit and other flavors. All should be started in very tiny amounts to give the digestive tract time to get used to them.
Some vets recommend the Waltham turkey flavor (it comes only in turkey and tuna flavor now and it's not sold in stores), you might want to keep that food in mind also.
Then there is Wysong Archetype and Steve's Real Food - but many cats don't find these two foods appealing.
I don't like Waltham because it contains the thickener carrageenan and that can cause digestive problems just by itself.

I hope others will have more suggestions for you.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 06:39 PM

Sounds like good advice to have her checked out by a vet. Also concerning litter boxes, I've read that some cats don't like covered litter boxes, they don't like the smell contained in the area they are going. I wouldn't blame them. After reading that I changed to a large uncovered litter box (even though mine was having no problems) and it looks so much more comfortable for her to go in. I have it in a closet that is used for nothing else. It is Rocky's bathroom. I hope Peanut is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page