Crystals - food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Crystals - food?

The vet wants my family to change Tiggy onto a presciprtion diet to knock out the crystals - then put him on another diet after that. The only problem is that Tiggy HAS been eatting SD and I think that might be what gave it to him in the first place. Also - I don't think my parents are going to buy an expensive presciption diet for him either. Could I suggest to my parents to get him cheap wet food instead?

I've been feeding him some Wellness and that seems to be helping him go to potty easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Premier Cat

I don't know what the history of Tiggy is but if he's prone to crystals he should probably only be on wet food. Personally I don't believe in the prescription diets. My cat had the very beginnings of a UTI and I've had him on Wellness wet and I'm not free feeding him. Free feeding cats can cause thier systems to become too alkoline and some think that can be a factor in developing crystals. So far so good.
You may want to read the stickies on diet and nutrition which have a lot of good info.

Victoria
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 04:20 PM

Aeki Muffinhands,

I can also recommend this book for detailed information:
Shawn Messonnier DVM: Natural Health Bible for Dogs and Cats

It explains everything you need to know about crystals, all you have to do is follow up on the information.

I really don't think you need to buy an expensive prescription diet. The book explains what the better and safer approach is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 07:40 PM

One of my cats had crystals and the vet also gave me prescription food from Science Diet....but after doing some reading and research, I learned that many kitties come down with the crystals again while on the prescription food!
I decided to feed my cat Wellness instead (wet only and no fish flavors), and the crystals have not returned. He is healthier than ever.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. That's what I was thinking but I was worried I might be wrong. Tigs has been eatting a bit of the kitty's wet food... and I have been adding a lot of water to it so it's all soupy. ^_^ So he's been getting lots of water. He'll either be getting Wellness... or Fancy Feast - whichever my parents buy for him I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page