Big cans - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Big cans

can anyone recomend to me a good canned catfood that comes in the larger size cans? i buy Natural Balance in the 5.5 oz cans, but i have seen a few brands that come in a larger size, like a dogfood can. the brands that i have seen in the larger size are brands that i do not want to feed... i think i saw science diet and maybe nutro. im looking for a higher quality food, no un-named ingredients, no corn/soy/wheat... well, i would prefer no grain at all. any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
I see most of the higher end brands in 12 oz cans (which would be the size you're talking about). Innova, Wellness and Felidae for sure. I had to start buying Wellness in the bigger cans to save some costs

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Well, we only use the larger cans, for economic reasons. We feed Wellness, Innova, California Natural, Nutro and Felidae. I'm not sure about those ingredients you listed , but I agree - it's hard to find the large cans of food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

i must have a bad batch of pet stores in my area, none of them that i have gone to carry the brands mentioned in big cans... i know that my local store only has wellness in the 5.5 cans. no Felidae canned to speak of.

im going to shop around and see if i can find Innova in the big cans... i am pretty sure i have seen the small ones.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Banned

I've seen Felidae and Eagle Pack in large cans.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Cool Cat

In addition, some flavours of Petguard come in big cans. Ask at pet supply and feed stores that sell the brands of food you like...usually, they'll be able to order big cans for you at discount if you can buy in case lots (usually 12 cans for the larger size); you can either band together with other people who feed the same foods to buy in larger lots at lower prices, or you can find some people who are interested in a few cans here and there and flog your surplus to them, possibly with a small surcharge to cover your costs and inconvenience of initial outlay. It's always cheaper to buy in bulk or case lots if you can. If you want to do a rotation, it may be an issue buying several cases of different flavours/brands, but if you can find others to split or help cover the cost, it can be a really good option. On the plus side, if you can ensure that the expiry dates on the cans are well in the future, it can also mean only having to buy cat food a few times a year (I usually buy every few months or so).

I've actually had better luck with the large cans in terms of batch consistency, moisture, and texture...I have noticed it most markedly with Innova Light (drastic difference), but Wellness also seemed somewhat moister and of more appealing texture in big cans.

I didn't know Nutro came in large cans...I've only seen it in 5.5 oz size locally. Is it the NutroMax line, Natural Choice, or what??
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudewife

I didn't know Nutro came in large cans...I've only seen it in 5.5 oz size locally. Is it the NutroMax line, Natural Choice, or what??
ooh, i dont remember, i just know that it was a Nutro food so i skipped it. i dont think that Nutro products are that bad, but i had a rotten customer service experience with that company some years ago...

thanks for suggesting Petguard, gudewife... i did some research and just found out that i can order Petguard big cans by the case. i might go with that one. i love that it is organic, but i dont like the oats and the rice. one of my guys really does better without grains... but it might be worth trying him on the petguard.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Cool Cat

IIRC, Petguard only has one flavour that's 95% organic (I could be wrong on that), though they do use Coleman Beef, which is nice. I went looking for their Light varieties a while back, but the only stores that sell it up here don't carry the Light, and I got a lecture from a concerned employee about how light foods are bad for cats.

Such bitter irony...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I know a lot of people hate science diet on this forum, but they have this kitten chicken and liver canned food that is grain-free and really decent.

It comes in really large cans at a decent price (at Petco)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 12:49 AM
Premier Cat

If your pet store carries the 5.5 oz. of a food you like they can probably order the larger cans for you.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page