Kitten can't poo - please help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Kitten can't poo - please help!

Hello, this is my first time on this forum.

Any dietary advice please... 8 week old Elvis is struggling to poo. After laxatives didn't work, an intenral examination showed an enlarged colon (adult size). This has been dealt with by our vet and all was fine for a couple of days. Now he is struggling again.

I am feeding him on pulped, watered down chicken as advised by vet, but I don't think its going to do the trick. I have started using the laxatives again in desperation. I would really appreciate some advice that could help him pass a decent stool please.

Thankyou in anticipation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 01:16 PM

I would take him back to the vets, and if you aren't happy with the diagnosis, ask for a second opinion or referral. Was the diagnosis made by an xray? When you say enlarged colon, do you mean it was inflamed, thickened, or dilated? There is a condition known as MegaColon.

I also disagree with the diet advice you have been given, further thinking you need another vets opinion. How long have you been advised to keep him on chicken? Chicken meat alone is in no way nutritionally complete, balanced or nutritionally adequate for any cat, let alone one so young.

Do let us know the outcome.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 03:48 PM

I agree...just chicken isn't very good for a cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 08:04 PM

First I want to say that I'm NOT assuming your cat will have a lifelong problem like mine. Every cat is different. This "problem" may just be temporary. My cat, Emma, had a terrible time pooing as a kitten. We had to resort to lactulose and then cisapride. I even found giving her a bit of milk worked also. She got better for a couple of years and now once again we are having issues. We have since found that with her it is neurological.

I agree the chicken is not good long term. There are some natural foods that help with constipation but because your kitty is so young, you have to tread lightly. I think a second opinion with another vet might be a good idea.

Try giving the poor little babe a belly massage. Sometimes this helps. Exercise is good also.

Please keep us posted.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Thankyou emma_pen, Ianthe and CTCat.
Elvis' colon was just too big for his anus. Apparently it was'nt inflamed or dilated.
He is now back onto watered down tinned kitten food with "Katalax" (a form of liquid parafin). The chicken was just for the first two to three days after the op. as its mild on the tum?
At my next appointment (with another vet) I will ask about other types of laxatives and alternative foods that you mentioned.

My girlfriend has tried a belly massage, trying to stimulate him, but to no avail. Its as if the muscles are not working the poo out properly.

Otherwise he is active and fighting with his brother.
Anyway thanks all for the advice, I will keep you posted.

Stuart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page