Nutrition Requirement for Kittens - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Nutrition Requirement for Kittens

well, i am bringing a new kitten home next week and i have been looking for more information on kitten nutrition. i know quite a bit about feeding a puppy, but i am starting to find out that cat nutrition and dog nutrition are completely different things!

kitten food... is this just a regular cat food with higher fat content? what about protien content, is this different for kitten food? and how about calcium, is there a maximum amount that a growing kitten should be getting?

is kitten food even necessary? i see that a lot of brands dont even make a kitten food, and that they list their foods "for all life stages".. i wanted some opinions on this as i have found the same thing stated about puppy food... a lot of dogfood makers call say that their food is "for all life stages" when in fact the calcium levels in the food are well above the recomended amounts for a medium-large breed dog. because of my dogfood experience, i feel doubt that about the all life stages thing.

and anyone who feeds a raw diet... i plan to start introducing raw food immediately, anything i should know? im going to talk details with my vet first, but as it is right now she is supportive of my raw feeding plan. do kittens need any more or less of any of the raw diet components? are there any premade raw foods that are suitable for a kitten? i believe that the pre-made that i feed now, Primal, is one of those "all life stages" foods.

thanks, cat lovers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I don't know about the difference between premium kitten food and premium adult food.

However, I did notice that for grocery store brands, their kitten food has MUCH better ingredients and a MUCH better nutritional profile than adult food.

Which brands don't carry kitten foods?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Banned

Kitten food has higher protein content, does it not? The "all-stages" foods are 100% suitable for kitten consumption.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page