Help with my Kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Help with my Kitten

I have a 10 week old Kitten, just before vaccination (8 weeks) he started to have runny stools, Vet would not vaccinate and gave us Pro_kolin to take which made him worse (I think!) and runny stools turned to dirohea, anti-botics were given and informed to feed him boiled chicken and rice, since then I have tried to introduce small amount of kitten food but he has returned to runny stools again.. The vet run tests on a sample of faceas which turned out to be fine..

Any suggestions would be welcome... I have noticed that he does bolt his food down, then goes hyper for 15 mins.. could this be the problem.. also saw him have hiccups the other day.

I just want him to be happy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Banned

Yeah, I think you've discovered it. Sometimes cats who eat too fast have G-I upset. You can slow down the eating by putting something in the food bowl that needs to be nudged out of the way to get at the food. Ping-pong balls, golf balls, smooth clean rocks. And sometimes elevating the dish a couple inches off the floor is required, too. So the food can go "down" to the stomach instead of having to travel "up".
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 09:08 PM
Premier Cat

My kitten also had unexplained runny stool and the vet finally treated for geardea (no idea how it's spelled!) He had already had a couple of fecal exams but it usually does't show up. There's another one that often doesn't show on the test but I'm not sure which, coccidia perhaps? Anyway the geardea meds cleared him up. You may want to ask your vet.

Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Banned

Giardia. Yeah, good point. Just because the fecal exam was negative doesn't mean there might not be something else going on in there. That needs to be ruled out before you fool around with food bowls and diet.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
there's a snap test we use at work for giardia. I know we use it for dogs, not sure if its the same for cats. Of course, I'm the queen of giardia it seems like if we have a pet who comes in with giardia, I'm the one to find it on the microscope...

coccidia usually shows up. Its possible the eggs aren't being shed at that particular time, but I would think if it were causing a problem it'd show up. My two foster kittens were the healthiest kittens I've ever seen. One had runny eyes when she came in but after the day or so of meds they cleared up and didn't hear so much as a sneeze out of them. They came in for their shots the other day and had coccidia It only showed up on one of the fecal exams though... but we're treating them both to be safe.

Anyway - good luck finding the cause of the problem and treating it quickly!

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page