Wellness versus Felidae, and dry versus wet?? Please help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Wellness versus Felidae, and dry versus wet?? Please help!

Hi,

This is my first post here. I'm so happy that I found this forum. Now for my questions! My cats have been on Science Diet since they were kittens and now they are ages 6 and 7 years old. When ever I ask my vet what is the best food to feed them she says Science Diet. I've been looking around on the internet and have read a few bad things about Science Diet. To make a long story short I'm wanting to try a new cat food and have narrowed it down to two brands unless y'all know of a better brand. The two I've narrowed it down to are Felidae and Wellness. Which do y'all think is the better brand? I like how the Felidae contains holistic & herbal benefits, digestive enzymes, probiotics and antioxidants, vitamins & amino acid chelated minerals. But the Wellnes has great things about it too so I can't tell which is the better brand. My friend feeds her cats Wellness and she speaks highly of it.

Also my vet says it doesn't matter if I feed my cats wet or dry food but neither cat chews the food they just swallow it whole. I'm thinking this is not the best for their digestive systems and it probably doesn't allow them to get all the nutrients they need. So is it better to feed them wet or dry food? Please forgive me for making my first post so long. I just really need help and I didn't know where to turn. I really appreciate any advice you can give me! Thank you SO MUCH and my kitties thank you too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:06 AM

You will hear from many members, so this will just be a short one.
I've been learning about and using nutritional (holistic) healing methods for several decades, so I could never recommend a dry food diet with a clear conscience.

If your cats are willing to eat canned Wellness and don't get any problems from it, then that's a good choice for them. Of course Pet Guard and Innova would also be good choices. There are other good foods you can experiment with as well, it all depends on how much experimenting you want to do and what kind of food your cats really like.
Also, for healthy cats it is better to feed more than one brand of food to make sure all their nutritional needs are met. (There is no such thing as the perfect food, some brands have more or less of certain nutrients than others. By offering different brands we can cover all nutritional bases.)

As far as dry food and grains (carbohydrates) are concerned, these articles will give you excellent information. All the information you'll need to make wise, informed choices.

http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=017

http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/bpo_ch4.php

http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/magnesium.php

http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/grains.php
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Meowmie,

First off thank you for replying. I read those links and wow, they really scared me! I feel like I really need to switch from Science Diet even more than I did before. When you said, "if your cats are willing to eat canned Wellness and don't get any problems from it, then that's a good choice for them" what did you mean by this? Did you mean that Wellness isn't good but if they are willing to eat it then it's ok? Both cats are great eaters and they aren't picky at all. I know you stated that there is no such thing as a perfect cat food but can you give me your opinion on what comes the closest? Is Innova a better brand than Wellness? You didn't mention Felidae, do you not like it? Basically I'm trying to pick your brain, sorry! I hope you don't mind. I just want my cats to live as long as possible!! Thank you for the help! I have bookmarked all the links for future reference to show to friends.

P.S. I love your forum name, so cute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 08:51 AM

Okay, let's see. Wellness is a good food, but cats can be allergic to the vegetables and fruits in it, and they can also have digestive problems from these ingredients.
I've also heard from a few people whose cats didn't have the right low pH on this food and consequently developed struvites.
None of this means that your cats can't do great on Wellness, so don't let this info scare you.

Felidae. God only knows why, some cats get UTIs on this food because for them it doesn't produce the right low pH.
It's an absolutely, totally individual thing, something to be aware of, but do NOT base your food choices on this info. Bad things can happen from any food.

I don't think Innova is better than Wellness, just different when you look at the ingredients.

I honestly don't know what would come closest to perfect, but I do know that some cats can't or won't eat the "perfect" food, whatever we think perfect may be. That's why it's good to offer several brands if health problems don't stand in the way of that.

As a general rule it's good to avoid colorings and other unnecessary ingredients because they can cause allergic reactions.

Fish can also cause health problems, so it's wise to avoid feeding fish every day, and it's also wise to feed small amounts only if and when we do.

I personally hate carrageenan because of the digestive problems it can cause, so for my cats, based on experience, I avoid foods with this thickener. (You will hear from many people I'm sure who haven't noticed any problems from it.)

If you have more questions, go ahead, feel free to ask.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

WOW, I'm so happy that your so knowledgeable in this area, it really helps! I am just learning! Since you said to ask if I had any other questions....what food/s do you feed your cats and why do you choose them? I really appreciate it! You are so sweet to help me out! Thank you for your time!
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 11:02 AM

I currently feed a mix of Felidae dry and Natural Balance dry. My cats HATE wet food, no matter which ones I try and they are both fine. Wet v. dry is a very controversial subject. My opinion is that Felidae is a better dry food. It is 35.48% protein and only 29.70% carbs. The only grain is brown rice. Wellness is a good wet food, but very high in grains in the dry food. UTI's is really an individual problem with each cat. My cats have never had one. Some cats are just pre-disposed. I have 2 girls and boys are more prone to UTI's. Out of the 2 dry foods, I'd pick the Felidae. Wellness dry actually produces a higher urine pH in both dog and cat food. I've read of others using Wellness dry and the main problem is frequent UTI's.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 01:34 PM

Quote:
what food/s do you feed your cats and why do you choose them?
Hmmm.... The brands I mentioned (Innova, Pet Guard), plus some Lick Your Chops, Wellness, and some other foods.
I avoid corn, wheat, corn gluten and wheat gluten. I prefer simple recipes with a relatively short ingredient list and only one grain if the food contains grain. That's about it.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 02:03 PM

I fed my girl Science Diet Dry for most of her 14 years. Just recently switched to Wellness which was recommended by her Vet. I feed her Wellness canned. She didn't care for the Wellness dry at all. She would just spit it out. Now she doesn't want any kind of dry food so it is all canned for her. Her favorite is the Wellness turkey. I can tell she gets more excited about her meals now.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 03:08 PM

Meowmie,
I want your opinion on something. Im all for a wet food diet, especially as far as dealing with carbs and urinary crystals. Lately what has concerned me about wet food is the increasing talk of pop top cans causing hyperthyroidism in cats. Do you think there is any validity to that? From the info Ive gathered on the topic, the study was pretty shallow and flawed, and wasnt exactly thoroughly done. Do you think pop top cans are a problem? Ive been trying to find bigger cans that dont use pop tops, but it isnt always easy. Just wanted your thoughts. I threw this question around a while back, and wanted your opinion on it as well now that your more active on this board. Thanks.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 03:15 PM

Meowmie,
I want your opinion on something. Im all for a wet food diet, especially as far as dealing with carbs and urinary crystals. Lately what has concerned me about wet food is the increasing talk of pop top cans causing hyperthyroidism in cats. Do you think there is any validity to that? From the info Ive gathered on the topic, the study was pretty shallow and flawed, and wasnt exactly thoroughly done. Do you think pop top cans are a problem? Ive been trying to find bigger cans that dont use pop tops, but it isnt always easy. Just wanted your thoughts. I threw this question around a while back, and wanted your opinion on it as well now that your more active on this board. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page