Good diet for cat with early renal failure -- **Update** - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Good diet for cat with early renal failure -- **Update**

Snickers has been on a prescription renal diet (Eukanuba) for several months.

I would like to switch him to a different food that he enjoys more. The prescription diet is very expensive and I'm not a fan of Iams and Eukanuba products. At the time, it was the only one he would eat. I wouldn't mind paying more for something we really like, though.

My vet suggested that I could switch him to commercial foods as long as the food is low enough in protein and phosphorus. One problem is that when I read an ingredient label, I don't know what would be considered low levels of these nutrients.

Can anyone suggest a diet that has worked for them or help me understand what an appropriate nutritional profile should be for a renal diet?

I should mention that Snickers barely touches wet food when I serve it. He's never been interested in it. But he loves dry food.

I have been trying to research this on my own, but between caring for my kids and cats, attending grad school, etc., I am wiped out! I truly appreciate any knowledge that you all have to share. Thanks!!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Cat Addict

My experience with this is far too scant for me to comment, but I wanted to wish you luck with this. My old boy was found to have early renal failure and he was put on Science Diet (ugh), but within the year, we discovered his tumor and a whole host of 'old kitty' problems. In the words of our ER vet, "He's not going to die from kidney failure. Feed him whatever he likes until he's done." He just didn't have enough time left for it to matter. Your young guy is blessedly in a better position.

Good luck to you, and happy thoughts to kitty!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks, Lisa. (I'm Lisa, too!) I appreciate your good thoughts!

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:36 PM

I am not an expert on renal failure but I had a cat that passed at age 17 after being diagnosed with it 4 years previously. I spent years nursing her and did alot of research.

In our experience, we were also talked into buying the low protein diets. Hills, Purina and Walthams. After 8 months my girl had lost so much muscle mass that it was hard to pet her and not be upset with feeling her bones. These foods are not the most palatable and with renal failure comes tummy problems and anorexia. After 8 months I took her off of those foods and for the next 3+ years she ate whatever she wanted or would eat on any given day.

The most important thing to consider is the protein source. If you have the time and the means a RAW diet would be especially beneficial for a chronic renal patient. You can monitor exactly what your cat consumes and try to head off certain problems that renal problems lead to.

The more protein in the diet the more the kidneys have to work at filtering it out. A higher quailty protein is far easier to use and break down than a low quality one.

It's also important to stay a step ahead of what issues may arise due to the CRF. As I mentioned, stomach upset plays a huge role, by the time that renal problems are diagnosed at least 75% of the kidneys have stopped functioning properly. They can no longer remove toxins correctly and this can and usually does lead to anorexia. It's most important that they eat something at this time even if it is lower quality (but better tasting). It only takes a few missed meals (or a couple of days) for cats to develop fatty liver disease.

Pepcid is great at alleviating the stomach acid that can lead to gastrointestional upset. A compounding pharmacy can turn over the counter Pepcid into a lotion that can be applied to a cats ears, (alot are not great at taking pills).

There is a wonderful online support group for owners of cats with chronic renal failure. I am sure if you google that term you will find it. They can provide you with days worth of research and wonderful support.

Good-Luck and give Snickers a big paws up from my girl Silverbelle.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Susi, thanks for your advice and good wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbelle
If you have the time and the means a RAW diet would be especially beneficial for a chronic renal patient. You can monitor exactly what your cat consumes and try to head off certain problems that renal problems lead to.
I wish this were an option for me, but it isn't. I am a grad student with young kids and numerous other responsibilities, leaving me very little free time. I really can't go that route right now, unfortunately.

Luckily, Snickers isn't showing any signs of problems. He is quite active and playful, has a healthy coat and bright eyes, plus he's a pretty good eater (though lately he's been getting into my kittens' food ).

I will check out that online support group also. Thanks for all the helpful info. Much appreciated!!

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:47 PM

Sorry to hear about your kitty. I have an advanced CRF dog, and it is definately not fun.

Anyway, I did some research for you, and found a really informative Feline CRF site. Ideally, a food for him should contain less than 1% phosphorus as long as he is in early stage, and less than 0.5% if he deteriorates. For protein, the food should have 20-25% protein. Protein is actually less critical than phosphorus.

Good luck!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Oh, that's great, Ianthe!! That will help alot when I read the food labels. I have also heard the same about the phosphorus level being the more important of the two.

I would love the link to the site where you found that info!

So helpful...thank you so much!!

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:57 PM

Sure! Here's the link:

http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm

Glad I could help...I know what it's like trying to sort through all the information.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 10:59 PM

Here is another good site I found:

http://www.felinecrf.com/
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Kitten

Quote:
Can anyone suggest a diet that has worked for them or help me understand what an appropriate nutritional profile should be for a renal diet?
Last year, my cat was diagnosed with possible early stage renal failure and was put on a prescription diet. She did not like the food, and I was appalled at the ingredients. After doing much research, I found Sensible Choice Senior dry (made by Royal Canin). It does have some corn product in it, but no by-products, and it is low in phosphorus. She loves it.

For canned food (which is her main food), I feed her Innova Lite, which is low in phosphorus, as well as some brands of Wellness canned food. She loves these as well. To find out which foods are low in protein and phosphorus, you can go to this web site:
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/canfood.html

There is also:
http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/dryfood.htm

There is both canned and dry food information. Great sources of info. You can make comparisons between the prescription food and the commercial food.

Although a second opinion pronounced her healthy, I keep on her on this food. Her coat is beautiful and she hardly ever throws up anymore, not to mention that the litter box in no longer malodorous!

I'm so sorry to hear about Snickers. Good luck!

Edit to add: Just for a point of comparison, the Hills K/D dry prescription food I fed her has 28.20% protein and .460% phosphorous. The Sensible Choice I now feed her has 30.80% protein and .650% phosphorous.

The Eukanuba Renal wet food is 31.71% protein and .76% phosphorous. The Innova Lite is 38.4% protein and .54% phosphorous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page