When to neuter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

When to neuter

When do you think is the best age to neuter or spay a kitten at? I was told anywhere from 4 - 6 months is a good time. I was also told by someone that if neutering is done earlier it decrease the chances of spraying.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 01:35 AM

I would say between 4-6 months.

A lot of shelters do it VERY young, but they have to, so they can adopt out the kittens without risking them being bred, but most veterinarians like to wait until they are a bit bigger, and better able to handle the procedure.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I've heard of that. I've always had it done at 6 months.... But I've also always had females. Now that I've got Skotch, I'm thinking I may neuter him a bit earlier than 6 months.

Is it true about the spraying? If they're done earlier the chances of them spraying are decreased?

I know someone whose kitten was spayed at 7 weeks!!! The shelter did it.... The last shelter kitten I got... We were given some papers saying that if we did it by the time Healey was 6 months old, the shelter would pay for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 02:00 AM

Is it harmful to spay later, like around 1 year old?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 04:30 AM

We neuter from 4.5 months of age.

No, its not harmful to neuter at a later age, it is never too late!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 05:54 AM
Premier Cat

I've only ever had male cats (Strange but true. Especially since all except one were found and not actually 'chosen'.) and none of them as ever sprayed. Spraying is really behavioral and as long as you neuter them before they sexully mature you should be fine. Most cats don't mature until about 5-6 mos. So I'd agree with the sometime between 4-6 month range. I've always done it closer to 6 mos. but if you're worried do it at 4. They can do it at a very young age. My pound kitty ws done at 6 wks.!But, as Ianthe said, it's because they HAVE to and, personally, I think that's a lot to put such a little fellow through. And, althouh studies say otherwise, and I understand the necessity, I'm not convinced that it's the healthiest way to go. But that's just my 2 cents.
And Mealie, as emma, said it's never too late to spay or neuter!

Victoria
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 01:41 PM

Eddy & Pinky are both "fixed" and we will get Alice done eventually. They are indoor with no access to the outside so I don't worry. I just wanted to make sure.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

I'm leaning towards 4... 4.5 months when I get him neutered. His mama will be spayed, too, but I'm not sure if I can get it done at the same time as Skotch gets neutered. Depends on the funds.

Mealie, as the others have said, no it's not harmful to spay or neuter later. Wiskee (Skotch's mama) is just over a year old, so I imagine she'll be a year and a half when she gets done.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 04:32 PM

Perhaps you should get the female done first to make sure there are no more pregnancies.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
My boys were neutered at 7 months. They turned out to be perfect!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page