How much will it cost? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

How much will it cost?

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how much it costs to spay or neuter your cat? I have two kittens and they are due to have it done in about a month so I just wanted to have a ballpark figure of how much $$$ this will cost. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 05:06 PM

I think my vet charges around $40-$50 for a neuter and around $50-$70 for a spay. A spay is typically more because it's a more complicated procedure. It's been awhile since I had my cat fixed, so I can't remember exactly.
Prices seem to vary alot, I would call around and see what your local vets charge. If you know people with pets, asking them what vets they see would be a good starting point.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 05:14 PM

Yes, prices vary so much. Your best bet is to call around to all the vets in your area and get a quote, and also to check with your local humane society for a list of places that do low cost spay/neuters. That is how I found a place to neuter Ivan AND give him all his shots for $30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 06:28 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
It was $43 per cat to get my boys neutered.

It is TOTALLY worth the price, though.

I had a place offering to neuter my boys for $110 per cat because they do laser surgery, but it was totally unnecessary.

For me, it was unnecessary to purchase the Elizabethan collar and additional painkillers. It was also unnecessary to conduct a blood test before hands if the cats are healthy. The vet offered continuous nitrous oxide for the cats while the cats are in surgery but I declined.

My cats were back to their normal selves in 2~3 hours. It is such a simple procedure you can usually just choose the no-frills option. I don't like dousing my cats in anasthesia, painkillers, and antibiotics
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 06:44 PM

I am not sure where you are in Canada, but its more like $100 up here with shots, at least in my area.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 07:15 PM
Banned

Neutering Tommy:

Pre-op exam $30.00
Pain injection $12.00
Hospitalization $25.50
Anesthesia $25.50
Castration $35.00
Take-home pain med $17.00

Total $145.00

I suspect some of the numbers quote above don't include "everything"

I didn't include the cost of the FeL/FIV test because if that had already been done, it wouldn't be necessary to do it again.

Spaying is about $50 more.

I question any vet who would do surgery without pre-op exams, total anesthesia, or post-op pain med.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 07:19 PM

Yeah I should have added that mine was for a feral through a shelter so is probably cheaper.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Cat Addict

our humane society has low cost clinics check out the one in your area
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
It can cost anywhere from $40 to $350. Buddy cost us $50 for his neuter, but Nya cost me (well, my parents, as it was my "Christmas present") about $350. I did opt for the laser surgery as she is a mature cat and I suspected has a weaker immune system (she actually STILL got an infection), also there was the exam, anesthetic, pain meds, and the half day stay in the hospital. There was also a complication that needed to be corrected, and generally it costs more to spay a full grown cat than it does a kitten. Her case is rare, but I just thought I'd point out that it CAN get up there, however unlikely in your case

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 10:21 AM

The APL will do it pretty cheap here, but when we called, they informed us that there was a waiting list for at least 4 months!!! BUT they told us they were able to sell us a voucher for $50 that we could take to any vet in the area to get our cat spayed. So instead of the vet giving us a price, we gave them the voucher and that was our payment. I think the vet's price was more around $60. So make sure to ask area shelters if they have a program like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page