New to wet food and I have some concerns. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

New to wet food and I have some concerns.

I went out and got Murray some canned food the other night and made sure he could not get at the dog's food. This is his second day on wet alone and I'm a bit concerned.
According to the back of the can he should be eating approx. 2 cans per 8 lbs. Murray is a small cat...very naturally slim. His normal weight is about 7.5 to 8 lbs. I cannot get him to finish even one full can...how the world do I get him to eat two? He acts very interested in the wet food and will eat it with gusto for 5 to 10 minutes and then stops as if he's full and walks away..except he's only ate maybe a 1/3 of the can if that. Now a bit later he'll follow me into the kitchen and will eat a bit more if I get his food back out for him (I refridge it after he stops eating). I do know from my online reading that cats allowed to free feed typically will eat somewhere between 12 to 20 small meals a day of their dry kibble. This is my first time actually feeding nothing but wet food as Murray has grown up free fed dry. Should I allow him to eat in intervals or 'tough love' him into eating more at each setting? Couldn't the tough love approach make him ill? I'm concerned that perhaps this diet change isn't going to work afterall as I do not at the present feel that he's getting enough to eat. I could really use some guidance and support from someone experienced with feeding wet food please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

I forgot to add info. about what I've got for him to eat. I also need this critiqued to be sure this is sufficiant (deeming I can get him to eat enough).

These are the 3.2 oz cans of Merrick.

1)Merrick Wet -Grammy's Pot Pie
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (Min.) 10.00%
Crude Fat (Min.) 3.00%
Crude Fiber (Max.) 1.5%
Moisture (Max.) 78.00%
Ash (Max.) 1.80%
Magnesium (Max.) .025%
Taurine (Min.) .08%

Calorie Content
992 kcal/kg - A 3.2oz. can provides 86 kcal of metabolizable energy, calculated value.

Ingredients:
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Turkey Liver, Fresh Red Jacket New Potatoes, Fresh Carrots, Fresh Snow Peas, Fresh Whole Red Delicious Apples, Potato Starch-modified, Olive Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Tricalcium Phosphate, Cassia Gum, Carrageenan, Flax Seed Oil (For Omega -3), Poultry Seasoning (Thyme, Sage, Rosemary) Choline Chloride, Salt, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex,d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Lecithin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Glucoheptanate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin,Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

2) Merrick Wet-Thanksgiving Day Dinner
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Fat (Min.) 3.00%
Crude Fiber (Max.) 1.5%
Moisture (Max.) 78.00%
Ash (Max.) 1.80%
Magnesium (Max.) .025%
Taurine (Min.) .08%

Calorie Content
975 kcal/kg - A 3.2oz. can provides 86 kcal of metabolizable energy, calculated value.

Ingredients:
Turkey, Turkey Broth, Turkey Liver, Fresh Sweet Potatoes, Fresh Carrots, Fresh Green Beans, Fresh Whole Granny Smith Apples, Potato Starch-modified, Olive Oil, Flax Seed Oil (For Omega -3), Dried Cranberry, Dried Blueberry, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Tricalcium Phosphate, Cassia Gum, Carrageenan, Poultry Seasoning (Thyme, Sage, Rosemary), Choline Chloride, Salt, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Lecithin, Vitamin D3 Supplement), Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Glucoheptanate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

3)Merrick Wet-Turducken
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Fat (Min.) 3.00%
Crude Fiber (Max.) 1.5%
Moisture (Max.) 78.00%
Ash (Max.) 1.80%
Magnesium (Max.) .025%
Taurine (Min.) .08%

Calorie Content
990 kcal/kg - A 3.2oz. can provides 94 kcal of metabolizable energy, calculated value.

Ingredients:
Turkey, Chicken, Chicken Broth, Duck, Fresh Sweet Potatoes, Fresh Carrots, Fresh Snow Peas, Fresh Golden Delicious Apples, Potato Starch-Modified, Dried Cranberry, Olive Oil, Flax Seed Oil (For Omega -3), Cassia Gum, Carrageenan, Potassium Chloride, Tricalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Salt, Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols, Vitamin E Supplement, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Iron Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Copper Amino Acid Complex,d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Lecithin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Glucoheptanate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

He does not like any of the Merrick Wet food that contain fish or seafood. He also does not like the Merrick Wet that contains Beef ..Cowboy Cookout.

I've also picked him up a 5.5 oz can of..

4)Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul Wet- Adult
Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein 10.0% minimum
Crude Fat 5.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 1.0% maximum
Moisture 78% maximum
Ash 2.5% maximum
Magnesium 0.035% maximum

Calorie Content
1,200 kcals/kg (187 kcals/can) Metabolizable Energy

Ingredients:
Chicken, salmon, chicken liver, turkey, duck, chicken broth, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, oatmeal, potatoes, barley, egg product, guar gum, flaxseed, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, taurine, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, thiamin mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, vitamin B12 supplement, biotin, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K), copper sulfate, calcium iodate, and sodium selenite.

I have not tried Murray with the Chicken Soup food. I would also like to try him with Wellness but there are no stores nearby who deal it and I cannot afford ordering online. What about Felidae Canned? Solid Gold Canned (non-tuna)?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:52 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I simply leave my wet food out and change it every three hours.

Your cat sounds exactly like my cat.

Also, somebody on this forum mentioned his cat didn't like Merrick's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:09 AM

I had similar questions and I was recommended this site;

http://www.talktothevet.com/ARTICLES/CA ... ultcat.HTM

You might want to try something other than Merrick. I just started 2 of my cats on Wellness and the other on Chicken soup and all 3 LOVE the Chicken Soup. They were somewhat slow to eat canned the first few days but they all gobble it up now.

I have them eating 2 canned meals a day and a little kibble in-between. I have heard that you should change their diets slowly. I would guess that if he wasn't snacking all day then he would be more hungry for a meal. Maybe just give him a snack or two in-between rather than letting him graze all day.....

If its a food he really likes I'm sure he will be able to eat as much food as he should have. Good luck
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:10 AM

I recently switched to canned food. For my cat it works out for her and I for me to divide her 5.5oz can into 5 meals thruout the day. It is the amount she will finish eating at each sitting and she seems very satisfied. I don't feel comfortable leaving the wet food out longer than 30 minutes. But I know this schedule would not work for most people.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks ya'll for replying. I'm not terribly comfortable leaving wet food out more than a half hour myself. Is it safe to leave it out longer? I will be starting a new job shortly so I will not be home to ration his meal out throughout the day.
He does really seem to like the Merrick Wet foods that contains Chicken, Duck, or Turkey in them. He eats them with gusto but seems to get full quickly..lol. Perhaps because it's wet food and he's not accustomed to it as of yet it makes him feel full sooner?
I'll be trying the Chicken Soup brand Wet food tommorrow. I wish I could find someone local who carries Wellness as it seems a lot of folks on this forum use that brand in majority. I will be talking with my local pet store to see if perhaps they'd special order me some in. Are their any other highly recommended brands that do not cost an arm and a leg?
Thanks..
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:40 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Personally, I never had a problem with leaving wet food out for three hours....even in the middle of summer.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 03:17 AM
Premier Cat

Personally I pay no attention to how much the can says to feed. I've never had a cat eat nearly as much as they recommend. Maybe they're just trying to sell cat food? I switched my cats to all wet food a few years ago and I did notice they seemed to eat less. It may be because they're getting more nutritian from the wet food. Just a theory. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start noticing weight loss. My guys eat adout 1 can a day each and have maintained a really good weight. They get fed in the am, when I get home from work, and a snack before bed. I leave it down for about 1/2 hour each time. Hope this helps.

Victoria
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Nanook..
What size can do you use? You offer the food for a half hour three times a day then? This routine might be most suitable for my schedule I think.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 03:39 AM

I have my cat on Wellness cans. And was happy to find it down the street at Dogma. It is a dog store but they have a small area put aside for some of the better cat food brands. On omhpet.com you can check to see if their products are sold in your area:

http://www.omhpet.com/locator/locator_form.asp

Good luck in your new job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page