Sash vomiting (reguratating) rather often - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Sash vomiting (reguratating) rather often

It seems that Sash has been vomiting a little more often lately, he did once a day for the past three days now. He does this immediately after eating and it's usually a small amount of undigested dry food (in whole pieces), three out of the last five times there was hair in the vomit (Sash's first hairball). Now, he eats ALOT of small meals a day(15-20 small meals approx.) I know it's alot, he's only vomiting one of those meals though. It's never canned food and he eats about a quarter a day of canned also. It seems that ever since he turned about 10 he started to vomit a little more often, it was once a week pretty regularly for a the past two years and then this past Feb. increased to sometimes several times a week, he's now 12 1/2.

I worry but he's not due for a checkup until Sept. and I hate to take him in any sooner because he was so horrible there the last time, they had to muzzle him for bloodwork. I hate to stress my boy out like that again. He act's completely fine in every other way, he runs occasionally, looks vibrant and alert, his bathroom habits are normal. I worry alot though.

I think perhaps now that he's a little older he's having more trouble digesting his food? This started to be a little more frequent in Feb and Mar. but then the vomiting seemed to let up in April and May and he didn't vomit more than about every two weeks then. Now, the past few weeks it's more often again. Ugh! It anyone could offer any advice I would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:48 PM

My cat , Rocky, is 14. I also have to muzzle her when we take her to the vet. He is able to take the muzzle off after a little bit. But I hate to stress her out any more than possible. Rocky also had hairballs and would vomit like your cat . If there is hair in the vomit to me it sounds like there is a hairball Sash is trying to get rid of. Do you ever give him Hairball Remedy? Gel in a tube to help the hairballs along. Can find it in any petstore. Recently I switched to all Canned food for my cat and she doesn't vomit or have hairballs anymore. If you are worried, I would call the vet and explain what is happening and that you don't want to stress Sasha by taking him in unless necessary. The vet should be able to tell you what to try or if they think he has to come in. I've called my vet quite a few times and they've been happy to try and help me over the phone first.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:53 PM

By the way, I love Sash's website! My Rocky is a tabby too and looks alot like Sash except a little smaller and more feminine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:56 PM

Here is a good link that Meowmie posted in case you didn't see it:

http://www.suevet.com/petEd/VomitingCats.html
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Hi Rocky's Mom, thank you very much for your reply. I've recently been trying the hairball gel about once a week or so. I think that might possibly be the problem too, it's funny he never had a problem with hairballs before. But, I suppose they all get them and he's been grooming like crazy!

I'm glad you enjoyed Sash's website! I would love to see a picture of your Rocky too!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 01:24 PM

Lisalee, I know you don't want to stress out your baby, but this should really be looked into.
You need to have some bloodwork done to check on kidney and liver function and at Sash's age you need to have a thyroid test done as well.
The sooner you do all this the better.
If everything checks out all right, you can modify the diet because in that case the problem is with the food.

Pam Johnson Bennett advises spraying one squirt of Feliway in the cat carrier half an hour before putting the cat in it. Maybe it will help if you do that.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 01:36 PM

Bumper used to do this, the vet recommended a raise feeding bowl (stick a couple of books under her dish) it helped a lot. This especially helps 'taller' cats who find it difficult to swallow when the food has to go up then back down - besides a trip to the vet its the only thing I can think of.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, I've already tried raising his dish (with phone book) back in Mar. when this was happening, I didn't see much difference so I took it away and he seemed to stop vomiting then. I will try it again though.

If this keep's up we will certainly be making an appointment, oh how I dread that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page