Jutsice's Ear Update - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Jutsice's Ear Update

We just got back a while ago with Justice and sure enough, she has a yeast infection in her ears. The doc gave me drops of med I have to put in each ear twice a day for 10 days, I sure hope it clears it up. Now I'm off to research "feline yeast infections" to try and find out what causes them. Anyone have any idea?

~LilJoe~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 09:35 PM

Good luck, I hope the treatment will work quickly.

Since yeast just loves an alkaline environement, it would be very helpful if you could include a little bit of cooked chicken or turkey (without the skin) every day in the diet. Meat has an acidifying effect in the body and the acidic environment not only helps kill the yeast, it keeps it from coming back.

If you have corn and wheat in the diet, it would be very helpful to switch to food without these ingredients. Food that contains rice only and no other grain would be a safe alternative.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I really appreciate it. I just got done putting the other dose of drops in Justices ears, boy is she a hard one to handle when doing this. Hopefully after a few days of doing this she'll start to calm down a bit while we put the drops in. Right now I feel like she hates me. She's under the bed hiding and isn't to happy with me or my husband right now

~LilJoe~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 02:11 AM

I know how you feel

Ashley's ears have flared up again and she is NOT happy with me.

I feel so bad because she is a nervous-type cat anyway (she was abused before I got her), and NORMALLY spends alot of time under the bed....when she has ear drops twice a day....forget it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Ianthe,
Well that's where she is now and I'm waiting for my hubby to get home from work so I can give her/her first dose today. Theirs no way I can give it to her myself, she'd eat me for sure! That, plus I can't hold the bed up and pull her out by myself. She's one smart girl, if I try to reach her on one side of the bed, she runs to the other side. I can't wait till she is all better, it makes me feel bad now that she stays away from me. It took her so long to trust me after my Step Mom passed away and we brought her home to live with us. Now she scared of me all over again

~LilJoe~
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 02:56 PM

Sounds like Ashley.

We go so out of our way to not stress her out, she had SUCH a terrible past. I got her from the pound, she had been taken from an apartment overflowing with nearly 150 cats, all of whom had been severely beaten routinely and allowed to breed indiscriminately. Ashley herself was only 2 and had already delivered several litters. She was literally shaking in her cage and I couldn't leave her there. She has come a LONG way, even enjoys a good tummy rub, but she still, 7 years later, flinches when anything comes near her head/face. And RUNS from anyone she doesn't know. We don't even put soft paws on her like we do the other 2 because it upsets her too much.

So anyway, i HATE having to chase her around and restrain her to do ear treatments.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Well, my husband just got home and we just gave her/her drops in her ears. I was wrong, it wasn't she has to have them for 10 day, it's for 14 days. Anyhow, she had a lot of drainage coming out of her right ear and it was dried in a glump on her fur. I tried removing it with some warm water but it was stressing her even more, plas I didn't want to get water down in her ear and make the infection even worse. I ended up having my daughter hold her head and I just trimmed the clump of glump out of her fur. I feel so bad for her, she's been through so much already and now has to go through this. Thank God you have your kitty with you, it sounds like the conditions were just HORRID! It breaks my heart at times watching animal planet and seeing the places some of these animal come out of.

~LilJoe~
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 03:31 PM

Poor Justice

Our dog has a small tumor on his ear that the vet cannot remove beause Howie would not survive anaethesia. Anyway, it periodically breaks open and drains, and he gets a nasty clump like that on his ear that we cut out, too....definately not fun, for us OR him.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 06:06 PM

Poor Justice, *scritch*. Hopefully it'll all clear up quickly, and she'll (and you) get over the added trauma. Sorry, have no info on the infection causes.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Boy let me tell ya, Justice sure knows how to make us work up a sweat, lol. We just gave her her second dose for the day. It's just to much to try to get her out from under the bed everytime we have to give her ear drops. We end up having to lift the frame and box spring and matress all the way up. I feel bad for doing this to her but I just decided to take our bed off of the frame until she's done with the ear meds. This is just to much ripping our room apart and scaring the heck outta here everytime. Once she's done with the meds, well put the bed back on the frame and she can hide all she wants. Until then, it's staying on the floor. I was able to clean some of the stuff out of her ear this time and she didn't try to eat me, I wonder if that's cause she already got her fill of my husband when he picked her up. Thank God he's so helpful and understanding with her and he loves her just as much as I do. Without him, I couldn't even begin to give her the ear meds.

~LilJoe~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page