combination of dry food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

combination of dry food?

I'm currently feeding hills i/d and california natural mix, so far i haven't had any pooping problem, i'm thinking of getting rid of the hills i/d instead i would like to mix california natural and natural balance dry, is this a good idea or should i just stick with one brand of dry food?, along with these, half of his diet is raw/bones with added supplement, please advise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 12:46 PM

For quite a few years we've been feeding usualy a mix of 2, sometimes 3 brands (all about equal in quality, but still different) mainly to keep everyone happy. So, if you want to feed a mix it should be fine, but also just one brand is fine too if they really like the brand.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 01:58 PM

Based on your previous posts, your problem is scratching, NOT pooping.

Scratching is always the result of itching, which is always the result of skin parasites or allergy.

So, in your cat's best interest, if you remove the Hill's from the diet, do NOT add another food to the diet before you see very clearly which way the scratching is going.

If the scratching stops, there is reason to believe it had something to do with corn and similar ingredients in the food, so when you add a new item to the diet do not add one that contains a lot of corn. Or any amount of corn in any form for that matter.

If the scratching doesn't stop, you still have a problem, and in that case, whatever food you add to the diet will only compound the problem, it will do nothing to solve it.

In this thread
https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21922
Tim pointed out something very important:
Quote:
The main thing I know about litter is that if I want my cats to use the litterbox, I have to provide litter that they like, even if I have to put aside my own preferences.
The same thing applies to food. Our preferences do NOT count. We have to feed the kind of food our cats can tolerate based on their health status.
What we want to feed is not necessarily the food they can tolerate and thrive on.

So please keep this in mind while you are thinking about adding another food to your kitty's diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

That makes a lot of sense, i will however try to eliminate the hills i/d and only if everything is fine then i'm thinking of adding the natural balance to the mix, when i choose food it doesn't have anything to do with what i want but it's what's best for the kitty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page