keeping a previously indoor/outdoor cat strictly outside. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

keeping a previously indoor/outdoor cat strictly outside.

hi everyone.

is it ok for a cat who has been an indoor/outdoor cat to be put strictly outside? would i be doing my cat physical or emotional harm? what do i need to do to make sure that he'll be ok? he comes by my window and crys sometimes and it just breaks my heart that i cant let him in. i try to spend atleast 1 hour playing with him every day. my cat is almost a year old. hes been fixed. I live in an apartment complex. we have atleast 5 oher cats near by, but they all seem to get along great. specially my cat ( i think hes in love with one of the other cats ). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Strictly outside??? What are you going to do in a hail storm???

The cat has to be indoor sometimes.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 07:36 PM

Why does he have to be strictly outside all of a sudden? Im assuming it has something to do with rules of the apartment. Unfortunately, the last numberw I saw, the life expectancy is practically cut in half for cats that are outside all the time. Instead of maybe upwards of 15 years, its down around 7, because of things like larger predators, and cars. If your cat has been a combo inside/outside up until now, he probably wonders why he suddenly doesnt get to be inside with you at all. If possible, I would find a way to get him inside again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
How about you let him inside when the landlord is not watching?
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 11:01 PM

Here is a thread that is similar to yours:
https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=21900

Please, study the matter thoroughly before letting your kitty exclusively outside.
The fact that there are more outdoors cats that yours gets along with doesn't mean that they are safe from dangers.
Plus, the fact that your cat is crying should tell you he doesn't like it. He might get over it and get used to it but he won't ever like it. He misses the one-on-one attention and the protection that you had offered him indoors. He always be in dangers if you will allow him to live his life outdoors.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

thanks you for all your posts. i live in southern california, so no storms this time of year. the reason why i cant keep the cat indoors right now is because of a new born child and a family that believes "old wives tales" about cats being dangerous for baby's. the straw that broke the camels back was that the cat brought fleas into the house. that was intirely my fault though, cus i thought he wouldn't get fleas without treatment ( my neighbors told me her cats didn't get fleas and she never treated them). so i started to treat my cat with Frontline Plus, but he still gets a couple of fleas here and there. i know he doesn't pose a threat, but the family just wont have it anymore with me and the cat. I hope you guys dont think im some kind of monster to the cat or that im joking. i love my cat, and this past week has been **** for me and the cat.

My brother's family (its his kid) will be moving in mid Fall, so i could have the cat in by then. But from your responses, it seems like im harming the cat, so ill try looking into other options. I talked to my friend and he said maybe he could hold on to him for a couple of months. thats a maybe however; depends on his parents reactions.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

another question. with frontline treatment, is it still possible for fleas to infest your house (i.e begin biting humans)?. since treatment, ive seen a couple of fleas on my cat and he scratches himself sometimes. but everyone swears by frontline. i was thinking of going to the vet and getting a note from him stating that the cat is treated and that he wont bring in fleas to the house. that way i could get the guilt off my cat when the family starts yapping about fleas. also, i might be able to have the cat in my room all day long (granted, he wont bring in fleas to the house). but that means he'd be locked in a fairly small room all day. would that be better for the cat than being outside?
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:45 AM

Sorry your'e going through this.

In my opinion, it would be a LOT better for your cat to be kept in your room than outside. I think he would be happier and safer.

Frontline is usually amazing...I worked at a vet for awhile and I never saw anyone come back with fleas after using it...I would definately talk to your vet.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 02:14 AM
Premier Cat

I live in So. Cal. as well and the flees can be fierce! Frontline or Advantage will take care of your cat however flees do not live on your cat, they live in the environment and jump on your cat to feed. Something to think about: You and your family can bring flees into the house even if you didn't have a pet. I know several people who have had them and don't have animals. It's just part of living in this climate. Also, this year will probably be worse because of all the rains and the humidity we're going through right now. So definately treat your cat but let your family know that if they still see any it may have nothing to do with your cat.
As far as your cat being left outside I don't think it's a good idea. (for all the reasons said above. )Is there any way he can have access to your room through a window? So he can come and go if that's what he's used to? Otherwise I do think keeping him in is a better choice and taking him out for supervised outings. I wouldn't recommened leaving a cat out at night here as they too often become cayote snacks! And if your friend is reliable that might be a good plan too.
I hope it works out and you can keep your kitty safe!

Victoria
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 02:19 AM

If he is the only animal in the house, and you can keep him indoors 100% of the time, you can try something like "Program" for cats. It is in essence birth control for fleas. So as long as the cat doesnt go outside and pick up new fleas, and as long as there are no other animals bringing fleas in the house, the "Program" may work. When the flea bites the cat, the "Program" pretty much makes the flea sterile, and the fleas cant reproduce. So as soon as that generation of fleas die off, there are no baby fleas left to replace them. Just a thought. I used "Program" in the past and had good result, very little scratching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page