Help - strange skin problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 05:47 AM Thread Starter
mik

Help - strange skin problem

We have searched this forum for possible answers, but couldn't find anything similar.

We hope you can help us with our problem, as we have no idea what would this simptoms mean.

Our cat is 7 years old. He is on strict Royal Canine and Hills dry food diet for several years now, with occasional Whiskas and Sheba, just to get his eyes glowing…

Two weeks ago a small red dot appeared on his side and fur fell out. We went to the vet to check whether it is microsporia. There were no signs of it, but our vet gave us his opinion – that it could be a flea bite. We were unsure of that, as our cat only stays in our apartment and never goes out. We tried to treat the problem using bivacyn crème (antibiotic). Still there was a great loss of hair on the surrounding area (approximately 5 cm in diameter).

First the skin on the wounded place was normal, but now it has become almost black!!! The last three days he had diarrhea and occasional vomiting.

Our cat is behaving normal; his eyes look bright and focused, has normal appetite and shows no true signs of any illness.

We don’t have good vets around here, so we really need you help!

Is this poisoning, or perhaps stress related?

WHAT SHOULD WE DO???

Here is a picture for you to see what we are talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:50 AM

Could the cat come into contact with some type of chemical. When the skin turns black like that it's an indication of some type of chemical burn. A friend of mine rescued a cat out of the street with it's skin black like that and for the life of me I can't remember what the vet said was wrong. I think she said it was some type of burn, but I can't remember. I'm going to try to contact her and ask about it again. If I find out, I'll post the answer.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
mik

Hi,

Please try to find out what the vet told! There is almost no way that he could be in contact with any chemical...

we are desperate...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 03:07 PM

That does not look like any kind of burn to me, it looks like alopecia, though I'll try and think of some conditions that might cause it. Is the site sore, itchy or bothering the cat at all? Although the skin is darkened, it is hard, flaky or anything? From that pic, it does not look sore.

It might be worth getting some bloodwork done. Hypothyroidism does cause hair loss on the flanks that looks just like that, but the alopecia is usually symmetrical on both sides of the animal, and its fairly rare in cats.

Ems
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 03:32 PM

Did the vet mention anything about a possible spider bite? It is just a thought, as I seem to remember something along those lines happening to a cat we had when I was very young.

If the cat is grooming it excessively, it could be that she is attempting to heal the wound (?) or perhaps it is stress-related excessive grooming?

I really don't know, I am just throwing some ideas around. Other members would be much more knowledgeable than I about this.

I agree that a full lab work-up would be the first steps to take, in order to rule out thyroid or other types of disorders.

Please let us know how your kitty is doing. Such beautiful fur...I am sure it is very upsetting to see something so dramatic.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 03:44 PM

A-ha! Yes, I have seen a very similar patch, and it was caused by excessive grooming of the area. Is she licking it a lot?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 09:20 PM

That looks like the kitty is suffering from something known as a hotspot. and because the top layer of his is darker, what you could be seeing is the hair growing back in. the pigment in the skin often looks darker as new hair grows in.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
mik

Quote:
Is the site sore, itchy or bothering the cat at all? Although the skin is darkened, it is hard, flaky or anything?
no, nothing... it isnt bothering him at all, the skin is "normal" - but black...

Quote:
Did the vet mention anything about a possible spider bite?
He thought of a flea bite, but that isnt possible... a spider.. maybe...

Emma thank you for the hints for diseases, I checked it out on the internet and found some possible signs.

Thak you all for your suggestions, everything was very helpfull!!!

I will let you know, what the results by the vet will show...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
mik

I just talked to the vet and he said, it it nothing serious. Because of the insect bite and hair loss on the area (with no other illness signs) it is quite normal... He probably pulled his hair out himself because of the itching in the beginning. So the darker skin is not to worry about, he said.

Puh, I can't tell you, how relieved I feel!!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 08:54 AM

Yay!

I'm so glad it turned out to be nothing serious! I am happy for you and for your kitty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page