Urinary Tract Disease? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Urinary Tract Disease?

I just noticed that my male cat, 3 year old domestic shorthair, has a red protusion sticking out of his urinary tract. I've never seen it before and I fear it might be life threatening. I suspect this happened due to litter brand change; I changed it from Tidy Cats Crystals to Ever Clean Extra Stength. I only saw this today (I check him everyday), even though the litter was changed on Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:48 AM

There is a condition called litter box dermatitis, but normally the area that is involved is the skin around the tail and anus.

That red protrusion you are tallking about. Could you be seeing the penis itself, like in the pictures here?
http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/uo.html

Is your cat taking repeated trips to the litter box or showing any other signs of discomfort?

Sometimes when cats are in pain from a urinary problem, it looks like they have an erection. (Actually that's what it is but pain and discomfort are the reasons, not something else.) Normally when this happens the cat is also taking countless trips to the litter box at the same time, so the connection is very clear.

In dogs there is fairly common problem called paraphimosis, which is the inability to resolve an erection (in neutered dogs after masturbating for instance). The penis is stuck in an erectile condition and is very painful.
I don't know whether the same thing can happen in cats, I haven't heard of it myself.

Depending on what the sitiuation is by the time you read this message, the safest thing may be to call your vet for advice.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the info. I did suspect it was just an erection, but I've never seen him so "excited" before and I wanted to make sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page