Weaning Kittens - update - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Weaning Kittens - update

The babies are six weeks old today and I am having no luck at all getting them onto solid food. I have tried a few varieties (nice strong smelling foods), mashed it up, mixed it with water, put it on their noses and done everything that usually works but they are not going for it.

They do have a sniff around but then wander off and play and I am getting a bit concerned. They are gaining weight and are well and healthy but Mum (Willow) is beginning to look a little bedraggled. She is eating like it is going out of style and I am also supplementing her diet with a vitamin rich milk powder from the vet. One of the kittens tucked into Willow's milk supplement this morning but none of them are at all interested in anything other than Mum.

Any suggestions??

Update:

The kitkats are now almost 7 weeks old and there has been no progress with solid foods. I've tried everything I can think of. They did get stuck into eating some of their cat litter but other than that nothing seems to interest them at all.

I understand that nature has to take it's course it just seems to me like time is getting on a little now and I am being an over panicky Mum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:45 AM

Let nature take it's course. When they are ready to eat, they will. Make sure you leave dry food available for them at all times. What does mom eat? They will sometimes begin to eat what she eats when they are ready. Remember all cats have different tastes. I have a little one who weaned off of milk onto raw food and cooked people food. She will not touch any type of dry or canned food. Luckily she eats the "complete" raw food diet so she's getting adequate vitamins and minerals. I have another little one who weaned from milk to Babycat by Royal Canin and raw meat. Now at 11 months that's all he'll eat. He won't even try to eat anything else, no matter what I offer him. Then again, his brother will eat anything you give him.

Let the babies make their choices when they are ready. Mom will wean them when she's had enough. She begin staying out of reach to them for longer and longer periods of time and they'll get hungry and be forced to eat solid food.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Mum cat has actually been on kitten food herself since she became pregnant. She is eating about 6-7 pouches of that a day at the moment and also has her royal canin kitty biscuits down all the time (she only really likes those at nightime though).

She does like to be away from the babies for a little bit of time for a leg stretch around the house but normally after about 10 minutes she starts yelling for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page