Omega-3 capsules - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Omega-3 capsules

I've been thinking about supplimenting O-3 in the boys' diet, but was curious to know if any of you have tried it or are currently using it. I'm wondering if I just put the oil on top of their food, if there are any digestive probs that could occur, how much per dosage, etc. I've noticed that Binx still has developed some dandruff and itchy skin since we've had to cut back somewhat on the Innova and Wellness (too much fiber for him!), so I'm wondering if the O-3 will help. I still feed him small helpings of the above-mentioned foods, but also feed Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken and California Natural canned food.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 01:07 PM
Banned

I just stick a pin in the capsule and squirt it on the food. Once a day until improvement seen. I probably wouldn't recommend giving that much once a day indefinitely. The brand I use is NOW, purchased at my health food store.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 01:32 PM

This is the brand we use:
http://www.vitaminmd.com/superEPA.htm

Our vet prescribed it along with a couple of other supplements for one of the cats. (I can pick it up from the vet or get it online.)

Basically fish oils are recommended for their anti-inflammatory effect.

And something about how they work:

Quote:
FISH OIL AND VITAMIN E – Dr. Susan Wynn

Antioxidants such as Vitamin C, E, selenium and the antioxidant enzymes are mutually dependant on each other for their generation and activity. For this reason, antioxidants should be provided as a broad spectrum, rather than singly.

The beneficial effects of fish oil may also be suppressed by high levels of added antioxidants, so I usually recommend low to moderate doses of a combination product.
Super EPA has just the right amount of vit E, that's why holistic vets prefer to use this brand.

However, fish oil will not (cannot) prevent an allergic skin reaction. To prevent such a reaction the offending food or ingredient must be avoided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Thank you both for your advice. Tim, I use NOW brand gels for my own oils and herbs, so that will probably go with them since I trust their products.

Thanks again!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 04:28 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Cod liver oil is MUCH better when you buy it in a bottle form.

GNC has a really decent Norwegian Cod Liver Oil in a bottle.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Banned

Cod liver oil is high in vitamins A and D, which as I'm sure you already know, but just as a sidebar for other readers of the thread, are stored in body fat, and become toxic if administered in high doses over an extended time. So, if a person wishes to give cod liver oil to a cat as a dietary supplement, I think it's advisable to give it a rest periodically to avoid overdosing on A & D.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Sol
Cool Cat

I give my cats Norwegian Salmon Oil on top of their food every day and it works well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page