free feeding - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

free feeding

hi
im not always home so i just gotta stick with free feeding my kitty, i wonder if it has some inconvenience.
can i change from free feeding to scheduled feeding anytime?, my cat is spay neutered, and im worried when shes an adult cat that she gets all fat and lazy, i've seen those fat cats and i dont like it at all. help!!
she's still a 13 week kitty so i guess i still have time to do some changes if needed, i just hope she doesnt goes all garfield on me!!
thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 03:22 AM
Premier Cat

Yes, kittens need to eat a lot of small meals throughout the day so sometimes the only thing to do is free feed. Don't worry. As she gets older though I'd switch to regular meals as they do tend to get fat and lazy! When my guy got to be about 6 mos. I started cutting back to 3-4 meals a day. One in the am, one when I got home and one before bed. Sometimes a snack in the eve. Now they're both at 2xdaily and a snack before bed. He adjusted just fine to the change. They may compain for a while if you've free fed for a long time but they get used to it. You just have to stick to your guns. My cats never started putting on wieght untill over 1 yr. so you have time.

Victoria
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 04:33 AM
Cat Addict

If your free-feeding, and she starts to put on some extra weight, a simple solution is to gradually cut back on the total amount you give her each day.

Regulated feeding, combined with plenty of excercise should be enough to keep your kitty's weight in check once she gets to be an adult.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 08:40 AM
Cat Addict

Since she's such a young kitten, let her eat as much as she wants until she's a little older. Then it's best to do timed, measured feedings throughout the day. (If you're worried about when you go to work, give her a bigger meal before you leave.)

Some cats can regulate what they eat when free fed. My cat, Elly, is like this. Punky would turn into a bowling ball with legs if I free fed her, so it's not a good solution in my household.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Banned

It's difficult to switch an older cat, so if you plan to switch to fixed mealtimes, I'd suggest doing it before one year.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I free feed during the day, and feed wet meals during the night.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 06:34 PM

Maybe my cats are just good. But I have 12 and free feed them dry food all day, supplemented with 2 feedings of wet food. I also have my cats on wellness and they are perfect weight. I think it really is ok to free-feed as long as you keep an eye on their weight.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Cat

I free-feed my two girls and they're both at good weights (6 pounds for Buffy, 9 pounds for Willow, can feel the right amount of ribs on both). As soon as one or both starts to get porky, they're going to be gradually put into scheduled feedings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page