want to change cat's brand of food - need suggestions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

want to change cat's brand of food - need suggestions

hello,

My cat Willis has been eating Purina Urinary Tract health dry food and Friskies "Special" wetfood for 2 years now. Not long after I got him he got a urinary tract infection and since then I just keep feeding him the same thing out of fear that he may get another one. Lately though I have considered my eating habits and how I eat a lot of healthy natural foods and looking at the nutrition information of the food he eats really turns me off. I know there are some more natural pet foods made out there and am interested in giving them a try. Any recommendations on what brand and how to introduce it to him? He seems really healthy and a good weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 03:19 PM

What country are you in?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 07:02 PM

I would definitely like to the best food as well. I just went to the vet w/Envy and they talked about Urinary track infections in male cats. I really want to get him on a good diet so I don't have any problems down the road. The vet recommended Iams or Eukanuba.

Out of these two what is the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 09:46 PM

One of my cats had crystals in his urethra about a year after I got him. After doing a lot of searching online I discovered this forum and learned about what foods were good and what foods weren't....and how feeding poor quality cat food can lead to an array of health problems for my kitty. While there are a lot of opinions on this topic the "popular" choices seem to be: Innova, Evo, Wellness, Natural Balance, Felidae, California Natural, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul....also the consensus seems to be that feeding a variety of these foods is better than feeding just one...and avoid fish flavors.

My suggestion to you would do be a search on this forum on this topic, and after reading all of the posts you should be able to decide on what food(s) you think is best.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

I live in the United States. Thanks for the replies. I will do a little more research.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I give my babies Nutro kitten food.

I like Nutro. It is a good food and they always give me lots of coupons. So I never had to pay full price for their food.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 11:38 PM

I havent really checked to see if there was anything bad about what i give my kitty as its so new.....

I give her Whiskas Meaty Selections. She loves the taste as the inside is chewy and the outside is crisp. her eyes have such sparkle and her coat is sooooo soft and not in the least bit greasy, her skin is healthy and she just starts purrrrriiinnnngggg when she starts to eat it.

goes great with whiskas wet food in the pouches.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

So after doing some research I think I am going to try Innova. I did read on one post that someone said the ash level of Innova Evo was 10% and may cause UTIs in cats. Does the regular Innova have the same ash level? How slowly should I introduce the new food to him? I want to start feeding him more canned food than dry. I am currently feeding him more dry food than wet and probably not the best quality.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

To answer one of the replys my cat got his UTI when he was eating Iams. Maybe it was just coincidence but I thought I would throw it out there.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 01:30 PM

Thanks to Meowmie...

Meowmie posted a great response to my post and it will help your problem as well about urine acidity and UTIs.. https://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=22250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page