Mom is still fat -- what am I doing wrong? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Mom is still fat -- what am I doing wrong?

I wrote a few months ago about my cat Mom gaining weight after having her kittens and getting spayed in the winter -- and she's still fat. I feel like such a bad kitty mommy.

We were feeding her Natural Balance dry in the winter when I found her. She's done well on dry food, but any type of wet food really messed up her stomach, so we just stuck with dry only. That's where she packed on the pounds.

We switched to Innova Evo dry in May and cut down her portions by more than 1/2 a cup (she eats about 3/4 cup now). She seems satisfied with the taste and hasn't been eating as much, but she's still really fat. I don't have a scale, so I don't know if she's lost any weight, but as far as I can tell she hasn't.

I don't know what else to do -- should I try the wet food again? Since we switched to Evo, I've also picked up cans of Solid Gold tuna, Felidae, and Wellness randomly at the store to find out what flavors she likes, but its not part of her regular diet because I've been afraid that her stomach problems will return.

She's young (less than two years old), so I want to nip this soon so my girl will live a long healthy life. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 10:16 AM

My vet recommended putting mine on only 1/2 - 3/4 a cup of Evo a day as it is actually quite rich (and 2 of mine are very big). According to the stuff he gave me (I will try and find it and type it all out later) a maintaining cat needs approx 40 cals per lb of weight a day so dieting cats should be put down to about 20-30ish cals per lb(depending on their size & how much they need to lose).

He also said when it comes to higher quality foods, you feed at the lower end of the cal scale because all of the calories are coming from 'proper' sources and therefore they don't need as much to get the proper nutrients.

Mine get 2 cups between the four of them and always have a little left over so they aren't hungry and are losing weight slowly. Mom looks a good bit smaller than Scully so may require less food (Evo has 542 cals per cup).

Also, they need at least 1oz of water per lb if using a dry food. My vet said the less they drink - the more they hold onto the extra calories, so that could also be a cause.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Thanks Icklemiss -- you must have a good vet. Mine stocks the shelves with Science Diet, so I never went to him about her weight, thinking all they would recommend was SD.

So right now, if I'm doing my math right, she is getting about 402 kcals/day (3/4 cup)-- my guess is she's about 15 pounds. If I reduce her food intake to 1/2 a cup a day, then she would be getting 271 kcals a day, which means she would only be getting 18 kcals per pound -- does that amount sound too little?

Also, are you free feeding 2 cups a day or giving them 1 cup in the morning and 1 at night (or more frequently than that). I don't know the frequency I should be feeding -- I'm home all day, so I can feed them as much/as little as they need to be. I have been feeding about a 1/4 cup three times a day. Of course, my boyfriend just throws food in the bowl sometimes when I'm not looking because he thinks they look hungry --I have no idea why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 12:29 PM

We feed them at around 9 each night because 90% of the time we are home then and still awake in both summer and winter. They get the 2 cups and tend to ration it out themselves. Yesterday Scully was gorging a bit and got smacked on the head a few times to tell him he had his share already.

Wow she doesn't look 15lbs! Mine are all on 1/2 cup of Evo a day (although they ration it between themselves so some may eat more - they have a bowl each but rarely use them properly). Scully is still about 19lbs and Bumper is 17lbs and they both get 1/2 cup without being hungry. I think BaileyandSammi feeds even less than 1/2 cup to hers and they are quite big too.

Like I said, especially with more premium foods, they do need less because they are getting the 'right' nutrients from the calories. Try her on 1/2 cup - if she is hungry I am sure she will let you know! You will probably want to reduce the amount slowly so she gets used to it though.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21
Wow she doesn't look 15lbs! Mine are all on 1/2 cup of Evo a day (although they ration it between themselves so some may eat more - they have a bowl each but rarely use them properly). Scully is still about 19lbs and Bumper is 17lbs and they both get 1/2 cup without being hungry. I think BaileyandSammi feeds even less than 1/2 cup to hers and they are quite big too.
Mom is shaped like BaileyandSammi's cats -- little head with a really round tummy area. Let's just say I have to do some of her cleaning for her since her belly gets in the way -- I think it's a problem when her weight is causing hygiene problems.

I know Scully is losing weight, but is Bumper also on a diet? Also, I don't want her to lose weight too quickly, but I was wondering if you knew what was healthy weight loss per month. I'll start divying out a 1/2 a cup each -- the other two cats look okay and have never had a gorging problem, but since Mom was off the streets, she came in with the "don't know where I'm getting my next meal" mentality, and I still have to watch her eating the other cats' food.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 01:42 PM

They are all a little chubby - when we moved and I started working longer hours, my bf started feeding them and the kid next door brings them treats and my BF will just not measure their food which doesn't help. Plus they have gotten kinda lazy and don't play as much - so with the exception of boomer (who is smaller and therefore gets the same amount of food as them) they are all on a diet.

4-6lbs a year is the 'preferred' weightloss rate - Scully was on a major diet because he needed it - but it meant monthly vet trips - weekly blood glucose testing etc, but generally that kind of weight loss programme is not recommended. So 1/4- 1/2lb a month is 'safe' weight loss. Feeding 1/2 cup mine are losing about 1/4lb a month - Bumps has a recommended weight of 15lbs - hes just a big cat, Scully will hopefully eventually get down to there too - but I am not going to push it now hes happier etc. Magnum is all fluff so I never know with him - but as long as him and Boomer are happy on 1/2 cup thats all they get.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Mom was about 10 pounds after she had her kittens, so I guess she needs to be somewhere around 10 to 12 pounds -- if 1/4 to 1/2 pounds a month is a safe, then we'll stick to that. I just want my girl to be healthy. Thanks again for the dieting tips!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 04:00 AM
Tom Cat

You might try adding in a few intense play periods with her as well as cutting back on the food. Speaking from experience, the weight comes off more quickly and easily with the combo of diet and exercise. If you haven't seen it before do a search here on da bird. My girls go crazy for the thing and always end up flattened out on the tile floor panting after a session.

Sending good vibes to Mom on her misssion of revealing the trim kitty within!

Kel
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:49 AM

Yeah, EVO is pretty high in calories, something like 500+/cup.
Mine each get 1/4 C twice a day. I never go off of the bags as a feeding guideline. I use a formula, 20-30kcal per pound of cat per day.

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page