i need some advise - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

i need some advise

i have two reg hymmies..they will be 2 in october.......neither of them will eat wet food...they are getting very skinny.. ( to me anyway)....i have tried everything i can think of....they don't like fancy feast,kalcan,friskies, u name it they don't like it.....i have tried every kind of wet food around here....they do eat dry food tho but it appears it isn't enough...they don't like people food either...i have taken them to the vet and they are healthy.nothing wrong with them other then their pickiness lol.....i am really at a loss on what to do...i have warmed it up ..put extra water in it so it is wetter...nothing works....
does anybody else have hymmies and have this problem? or if u have hymmies what in the world do they eat??????...i found out after i bought them that they are very picky cats, but i never dreamed they were this dang picky....i worry about them constantly....please help my kitties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Premier Cat

How much food do you feed them?
If they are skinny then maybe you need to put more food down.
At the moment until they have gained weight I would leave them on the dry food, then look at changing them to wet.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

hymmies

they have dry food in front of them all day...they eat when they want.....they aren't keeping their weight up by eating dry food tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:41 AM

It is possible that they are simply not eating enough because they don't like the food.
It is also possible that there is a food sensitivity you are not aware of that prevents the nutrients from the food getting absorbed. When that happens the cat either doesn't gain weight, or the cat actually starts losing weight.

There might be a clue in the stools. How are the stools? What do you notice about frequency, quality and quantity?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

hymmies

their stools look fine....just like the other 2 cats........i feed them perrina cat chow...indoor formula of which my vet said was one of the better ones for them.....i have tried other dry foods and again they stick their nose up...
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:07 AM

Your vet doesn't know what good food is. You need to read the food related threads here and then find a better food. Trust me on this.
Cats don't get skinny for no reason and I'm as sure as anyone can be that their stools aren't fine either.

As a cat parent it's up to you to make a better choice for your furkids and believe me, if you stop giving them this food, they will eat the new food. Once this food is out of their system, they will enjoy the new food you buy.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

hymmies

ok what dry food do u suggest?.......one that they will eat right away... you say the stools aren't normal so i guess i don't know what a normal stool looks like......i have put 2 different dry food out at same time and they always go to the indoor formula......if i take that away they don't eat period.......2 days of this and i put it back...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:51 AM

I honestly don't know what to tell you. You should definitely choose something without corn and most importantly without corn gluten.
Also, the food you choose should not contain wheat, wheat gluten or brewer's rice.
All these are bad ingredients that cause more trouble than people can imagine.
Take a little time to look at the threads, or even better, start a new thread with your question about food and that way you will get many different suggestions from the members.

Individually owned pet supplies stores normally have foods with better ingredients, those are the best places for finding decent food.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

hymmies

well lol what do you feed your cats?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 01:25 AM

Well, I'm one of those people who doesn't think that feeding a dry food diet is a good thing.

If a cat is willing to eat it, California Natural is all right for dry because it doesn't contain any of the trouble-causing ingredients (corn, corn gluten, brewer's rice, etc.)

But dry is still dry. These articles give you a good idea why dry is not a great choice in general:

http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/bpo_ch4.php

http://www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/grains.php

http://www.blakkatz.com/dryfood.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page