kitten food to "bulk up" 1 year old? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

kitten food to "bulk up" 1 year old?

If you had a very skinny 1 year old cat with the ribs and hips and all bones really just sticking out so far and hard and sharp against your hand if you pet her sides... that it's almost frightening... would you feed kitten food to try to get more nutrients in? She is a very light eater so I want to get the "most bang for my buck" so to speak.

How about as well as kitten food, some raw egg yokes stirred in? Or??? I never had such a skinny cat so I am GUESSING here, would appreciate any and all ideas for my skinny girl.

I purposefully post pics of her where she looks robust but trust me for every one pic where she looks nice I have 10 or 15 where she has the sadly lacking look of an underfed horse and I think it added to her getting a cold from her shots last week. She just needs to be a bit more robust I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 08:22 AM

Quote:
If you had a very skinny 1 year old cat with the ribs and hips and all bones really just sticking out so far and hard and sharp against your hand if you pet her sides...
I would make every effort to find out why this cat is so skinny.
Cats (even very young cats including few week old kittens) that are extremely thin usually have an underlying health problem.
It can be a digestive problem, it can be malabsorption caused by intestinal inflammation, kidney disease, liver disease, or something else.
I would also ask myself whether this kitty is really eating enough.

What are you feeding and when did this kitty have a complete health check including detailed bloodwork (complete chemistry profile and CBC)?
Also, can you be absolutely sure that she doesn't have an infectious disease? The safe thing would be to retest for FeLV and FIV while you are doing all the other bloodwork.

I really feel you should take her in for a very thorough exam to find out what her health status is.
You should also take a very close look at the stools. There may be an overlooked clue in them.

If I were in your situation I would wait with feeding egg yolks and other items until after the vet visit. (You need to find out whether high-fat food is really safe for this kitty.)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 08:27 AM

Let me ask you one more question. How does her breath smell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I love kitten food! I love kitten food! I love kitten food!

I always think kitten food is a "better bang for the buck" because it is nutrient dense and it is usually only slightly more expensive than adult food.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 12:16 PM

Meowmie, why do you ask the breath smell, would that indicate something? just curious for future diagnosis.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 01:14 PM

Yeah, i'm curious abou the breath thing too. my cats breath always smell..

Dee Dee... i'm with you. Mioux is a year old and only 8 pounds... she looks about 5 pounds though. she is SO tiny, not as tiny as you are describing yours though. I agree to go see you vet about the problem, but i'd think that kitten food would be ok for now.

And shengmei... is it ok to feed adult cats kitten food all the time? Isn't that a good way to make your cat too fat? Just curious...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks shengmei. I was thinking I should just try a little and make sure her stools don't go loose or anything due to any extra richness, yeah?

Meowmie (and anyone else who recognizes themselves in this - not picking on Meowmie at all here) a nicer way to get your point across would be something like "IF you haven't already ruled out a medical reason you might want to bring to your vets attention her breath because (state reason) or this, that or the other but otherwise my personal experience has been... yada yada."

There was absolutely no reason to assume medical reasons weren't already ruled out. A friendly and growing forum is fostered by people sharing their personal anecdotal experiences with each other. If you've never fed a skinny cat kitten food, then the question really wasn't directed at you and the question wasn't seeking advice on whether she should see a vet, if I'd wanted advice on that, I would have asked that. Your response was probably meant to be helpful but it wasn't particularly informative and the negative assumption just made it come across as unfriendly to be honest.

I can understand feelings of frustration with people who ask advice and then refuse to follow any of it, including taking their cats to a vet, but let's not let this frustration take over to the point of making negative assumptions and running newbies off. That would be a sad thing to happen to such a nice forum. What is the point of community forums afterall? I think sharing personal stories and experiences works best.

Tashi is 3.3kg and she looks lighter than she is but she's been in her short life abandoned, put in a shelter where she was very unhappy, operated on and then had a cold from her vaccine while adjusting to a new home, so if her appetite suffered a little during all of that, I wouldn't be too surprised!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 01:41 PM

I would probably just stick with adult food, regularly and routinely, and you'll find she'll gradually put on weight. You don't want her to put on weight too quickly, or start to get overweight. Or hyper.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 02:25 PM

Slick asked
Quote:
Meowmie, why do you ask the breath smell, would that indicate something? just curious for future diagnosis

Okay. Young cats including kittens can have bad breath for two reasons. The most common reason is a digestive problem. The food may simply not agree with the cat and the cat's digestive system is struggling while it is trying to digest and move the food through the cat's body.
Lack of certain digestive enzymes and lack of friendly bacteria can be involved in this type of bad breath.

The other reason, and thank God the less common one, can be a systemic illness such as feline leukemia or FIV.
Strong bad breath and/or gingivitis in a very young cat is always a serious warning sign that must be followed up on.

In older cats bad breath can be caused by a digestive problem, neglected teeth and gums, and sometimes liver or kidney disease.

Gum disease and other dental problems including oral cancer can also cause drooling in cats.

One more note on the subject. In older cats neglected oral health can lead to liver, kidney and heart disease. What happens is that toxins released by bacteria under the gumline are absorbed by the bloodstream and carried to vital organs.
So keeping the teeth clean and the gums healthy is very, very important.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the additional info Meowmie.

My overly descriptive wording might have contributed to the reactionary reply... and I realize I shouldn't preach about how to run a forum. If people wanted preaching, they'd go to church right? I just wanted this forum to be nice so I could stay a while but maybe it's not about nice cuz it's too busy crusading to save lives. I can understand that. Being new, maybe I misunderstood the focus or something but I doubt I have a right to be calling any kettles black either way. It was just food for thought but if it's not welcome then I'm sorry I said anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page