Diarrhea... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Diarrhea...

Kaos has Diarrhea, and i rang the vet, he said before going to see him i should change her diet, worm her, ect to make sure it is nothing simple, so how does this sound.....

she'll be in my room so i can monitor her stools

3 meals of chicken and rice. worming tablet after 2nd meal
the next 3-5 days, chicken and rice, but as shes being fed 3 meals, gradually swap one meal, then two then all three, to special biscuits i found which are good for hardening stools and fixing the digestive system

the tablets are once a week for 3 weeks, for round worm and tape worm.

do you think this will help? im worried a about her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 04:33 PM
Banned

Is this a precautionary worming, or did the vet check for and find evidence of worms?

I guess I don't see where doing two different therapies at the same time is really going to tell you what the problem actually is.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

this is precationary worming so that tapeworms and roundworms can be ruled out

the way doing two different things at once will work is because if she has worms, they'll be excreted, if she doesnt pass any worms, ill know she hasnt got any, and that worms can be ruled out. feeding her the chicken and rice is good because the rice will fill her up and the chicken is good for her. it should work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Banned

But if it's tapeworms, you might not see anything in the stool. I don't think your vet's plan is going to rule out worms. Without knowing what kind of worms, you may not even be using the right kind of dewormer.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

hmmm, didnt think of it that way. the vet seemed to want to get it all out of the way but id like to actually know what the problem is... so i can try and avoid it in the future.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 09:50 AM

" special biscuits i found "

My cat sometimes gags because the bread peices get caught in her throat, it's hard to watch but she paws at the side of her mouth and usually it clears. I've only feed here bread(not biscuit) a couple of times but won't anymore. She has tore into the loaf if I leave it out.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

by biscuits i mean dry cat food..... i prefer to feed fresh fish to my cats, but im willing to try anything to help kaos
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 06:59 PM

If you have been feeding fresh fish up until the onset, is it possible that the fish could have been contaminated? In the states, there is a risk that fish could have been infected with mercury or toxin from pesticide run-off that enters the fresh water supply, as well as bacteria such as e-coli, among other things.

This is just a thought, as I don't know how the fish in the UK compare with fish in the US. I am also not terribly educated on the fact, as I never have bought fresh fish...I don't care for it and neither do my family members.

Did the vet check for any possible contaminants/toxins that may have been ingested - either via the fish or perhaps some other means?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

The vet vet hasn't checked yet. I rang up to make an appointment with him, and he asked me what the problem was, so he could see how long to book me in for. when i told him what her problems are, he told me to do the diet change and worm her ect ect.

The fish.... I buy it frozen from the supermarket but i class it as fresh because i thaw the fish in water. it is skinless and boneless. I'm not sure if it could be contaminated, but it makes sense the fish has something to do with it because she is slowly getting better.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 07:45 AM

What wormer are you using? We sell Drontal, which kills ALL worms in the UK with a one-off dose. The 3 week course thing sounds suspiciously like a supermarket wormer to me. They don't work.

Most worming products from the vets in the UK kill all worms you get in the UK, though some only do tapeworm/roundworm.

And I wouldn't recommend a diet of fish for any cat, only an occasional treat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page