Best Food For Senior Cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Best Food For Senior Cat

My new Teabag will be with me hopefully in a weeks time and I was wondering what would be best to feed her on?

The Cats Protection said they are estimating her age at being 12 years old but are not 100%. So as she is over 10 (presumably) she is classed as senior yea so was wondering what was best to feed her on. I read somewhere that dried was best!

Dawny xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 05:25 AM

I feed a mixture of wet & dry.

In my opinion, the best quality dry food BY FAR in the UK is Burns. Their food is suitable for all lifestages, is excellent quality, free of unnecessary additives, and approved by BUAV. I can't fault it.

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/

Ems
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 02:16 PM

My cat is 14 years old and I switched her from dry to wet because my vet said that would be better for her and from what I've read it is healthier for cats. I feed my Rocky Wellness canned and she loves it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 02:26 PM

Alot of people around here will suggest wet, not just for seniors, but for any age cat. It helps prevent urinary crystals, and is lower in carbs, which will make it easier to control her weight. Whether you feed dry or wet however, most will tell you to avoid the senior formulas. Alot of times they are loaded with more fillers and carbs to keep the calorie content lower since older cats often arent as active. Its likely better to stick with an all life stages food, and just feed her according to keeping her weight in a safe range. As far as good foods go, Innova, Cal Natural, Felidae, and Natural Balance are popular premium foods that people recommend around this forum. Chicken Soup for the Cat lovers soul is also a pretty descent food, for a good price typically. Either way, your new addition may be used to eating poor food at her shelter, so be careful to do a slow switch over and see how her stomach handles it. For the heck of it, you may want to ask the staff what she was eating at the shelter. If its a good quality food, you can stick with it. If its poor quality, it would probably be a good thing to look for a better food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page