Natural Balance Food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Natural Balance Food

Thanks to you all who help to inform me of these top tier brands. My cat gets diarea or pukes on dry food, and being more aware of ingredients was what lead me to this. Petco didn't have any other top brand, as in California Natural, Innova IVO, Fedidae, Wellness, or Chicken Soup.

It was hit so far with all three cats, but Goyle, the sensitive one, was the one you've helped the most. She's keeping it down so far. I gave her about a 3/4 cup, she didn't eat it all. It's been about 25 minutes. She's drinking though, and sometime's I think she starts gaging on being to full of water on top of her meal. I'm not going to stop her though, just letting nature take it's course.

My next option would be the Natural Balance Allergy Formula at $15 for the 5 pound bag. $12 for the one we got now, and Petco's return policy was they refund your money and donate the food to the shelter.

What is wrong with the corn stuff? Purina said no ground corn right on front, but corn gluten is listed in the ingredients. I know being a man I'm limited to one hemisphere of my brain, but they must really be trying to get one over one me.

Is there a big difference between the regular and the Allergy formula? Is the Allergy formula anymore likely to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 02:13 PM

Natural Balance is a very good food. Whether or not your cat would better benefit from the Allergy formula will likely depend on what the allergy source is. If it is from a ingredient that is still in the regular Natural Balance, then he will still likely have issues with the food, despite it being a good quality food. The Allergy formula uses protien sources that typically arent found in cat foods, like venison. Keep an eye on how your cat does on the Natural Balance, and if he has issues with it, you may want to switch over to the allergy formula.
Regarding the "corn free" foods, I agree it is rather annoying how they will claim that, then use corn gluten. Ive seen it before, and I dont understand how they can honestly feel that corn gluten meal doesnt count as using corn in a food.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 02:25 PM

Jamdan, I just responded to the How long to leave dry food out thread and I have some answers for you there about why corn is not very good for cats. Some cats can handle it and others may develop medical conditions. But the point is that it's not an optimum diet for an obligate carnivore to eat a grain based diet, which is the case of an exclusive dry diet. Pet food companies will not tell you this. Dry food is convenient and and convenience sells. In fact it annoys me how many pet food companies discourage feeding canned and encourage feeding dry, like they'll tell you dry food is better for their teeth(a grossly overrated statement) or that canned food is fattening(actually the opposite is true), even though the original commercial cat food is canned food. The nice thing about dry food is that it can be left out for your cat to eat and for busy cat owners who work long hours or might have to leave their cat alone for long periods of time or may be on a budget(canned food is expensive), it's a great supplement to canned food. That's why I have my cats used to eating both 50/50 I never know when I might have to leave food out for them so might as well get them in the dry/canned combo habit. But that's my choice. Others will disagree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

I must be right behind you, as I just responded in the other topic too.

I wish this corn thing was taken more seriously by the manufaturers. It would be nice to see an irrate cat owner yelling at the top brass.

My cats been a little over two hours since her meal and seems to be doing fine. I am sticking close by as I will run out to get the Allergy stuff if there is trouble.

Is Dick Van Patten the "Eight is Enough" actor?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

It has gone good all day as she has kept it down. She even walked away without eating to much. She didn't beg for my ice cream later either(maybe I hid it to well).

At supper she drank all the slightly diluted gravey from the canned food, then had a few bites of the Natural Balance. I then put out some for the other two cats with their 'Special Kitty' next to it. I forgot, and she was overthere but chose the Natural Balance thankfully.

Two of the three have chosen Natural Balance. Hopefully I can convert the other as she just may take a little more time but she did eat some. Heck, I might even give it a try.

She's now laying on the floor, just rolled over dosing off. I'm so greatful for this moment, thanks once again for the information.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Senior Cat

I have been using Natural Balance for a while. I have one that get diarrhea at the drop of a hat, and she does very well on this food. It also works well for our budget since we don't have much money. I found it a while back when searching for better cat food.

I find my cats favorite flavor is the Ultra Formula. The one with the pink stripe on the label. If I put that down....watch your feet cause they're running for it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

She's puked after her second meal today. I let her free feed the Natural Balace overnite and gave canned diluted with water. I've left it all out now and let her come eat more. She had a litte more of both, but now I think I'll just have to observe her. I wonder if the quality of the meat in some canned food is low.

EDIT;
She's doing fine now, I think her belly was just too full. I think she would have had problems yesterday if it was the Natural Balance. She's back at the dry food dish so I should know something before I leave for work, about 40 mins(or I'll clean it up later, again).

I do want to free feed the dry and put out the canned at meals. What are good guide lines for feeding times and how often per day? At 3 cats?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Senior Cat

Are you using both canned and dry Natural Balance? Or are you mixing 2 brands? Just curious.

I use natural balance for both. The cans are about .80-$1 a piece but it's worth it.

I free feed the dry and give mine wet food at night. I can't be home to pick up the wet after a few hours because of work. And since what they eat each time varies, I haven't quite figured out how much. I have 3 cats too so I understand the feeding dilemma.

I find that one of mine tends to gorge herself then get sick. I'm not sure if she does it because she thinks she won't get enough or just eats too fast.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamdan
She's puked after her second meal today. I let her free feed the Natural Balace overnite and gave canned diluted with water. I've left it all out now and let her come eat more. She had a litte more of both, but now I think I'll just have to observe her. I wonder if the quality of the meat in some canned food is low.

EDIT;
She's doing fine now, I think her belly was just too full. I think she would have had problems yesterday if it was the Natural Balance. She's back at the dry food dish so I should know something before I leave for work, about 40 mins(or I'll clean it up later, again).

I do want to free feed the dry and put out the canned at meals. What are good guide lines for feeding times and how often per day? At 3 cats?
It's not normal for your cat to be throwing up every time she eats dry food and having so much diarrhea. She definitely has a medical condition. I hope your vet helps you. You probably should not be feeding this particular cat any dry food at all. Too much frequent vomiting will really irritate her internal system over time creating a lot of acid build up and damage. This can lead to cancer over time. I don't want to scare you but she seriously needs to be treated for this. You must work with your vet.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

" tends to gorge herself then get sick. "

That's what I thought when this first started, but I couldn't tell which cat, and I was using grocery store food. I have canned food that is a variety of grocery store stuff, not natural balance. I have only her, that actually eats the meat of the canned food, another likes gravey, the other won't but sniff it. I've gave her 1/4 of 5.5 ounce can 3 times today and let her free feed the dry N.B.

I'm going to talk to the vet on tuesday about her favoring one leg as she come up the stairs, but if she pukes again I will try another vet and get a second opinion on her digestion problem.

The vet previously prescribed predisone until I found she didn't get problems from canned food. He diagniosed the IBS, and because the canned stuff was passing through, I think he's right. The predisone allowed everything to pass as diarea, no vomiting.

There was more puke on the floor when I got home from work, but it looks hairball related and could be a different cat, I don't know. She had supper about 1/2 hour ago with wet and dry and I'll check for vomit now, but I haven't heard and sounds from downstairs so I think she's fine.

Yep, she's laying down having a ciesta not looking distressed at all. That gives me comfort because she would have puked by now on the other dry. and now she's back at the dry again, didn't even look at wet dish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page