panleukopenia- how long to wait? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

panleukopenia- how long to wait?

Hi,

Recently I purchased a little calico kitten. She got sick and ended up haveing panleukopenia. Sadly she died. We only had her for a week.

I am interested in getting another cat, but I am not sure as of how long to wait till the disease is gone. We cleaned everything that was cleanable, IE blanket and cat toys she played with were thrown away. Things like the couch and rug werent cleaned though with clorox or the like though.

The vet had some conflicting information on how long to wait. First it was a few weeks, then three months, and then six month. Ive asked other people who said that if the animal was vacinated it would be fine, but arent kittens not fully vacinated untill they have both shots?

I would like to get two kittens this time so that they are not lonely, though I do have two older cats. If we were to wait the six months, there would be no kittens left, as that would be late december, early January.

I would appreciate what you all have to say. I dont want to get the cats then have them get the same disease and suffer from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 02:45 PM

I have had experience with this same issue. My vet suggested 6 months to a year of incubation for the disease, depending on environment. However, you could get a kitten around 6 months of age and it should be fine.

The problem isn't vaccinations so much as age. The younger the kitten(s) is, the higher it's chance of contracting and dying from the disease is. When the kitten I had died from panleukopenia, I got a 6 month old kitten and he didn't even catch ANYTHING.

I would play it safe, especially since I doubt you want to go through the heartache of losing another kitten. As much as I know it SUCKS to either wait or get an older kitten, they are the safest choices to make.

I am also so sorry to hear about your loss. If you adopted the kitten from a shelter, give them a call and ask for a refund for the adoption. If she died in a week, she was sick when you got her.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

We got a refund from the store, which turns out to be very shady, selling cats with aids and lukemia, so we dont even know if the stor eknew already that she was sick. I dont want an older kitten, as that would be larger than one of my other cats, who stopped growing at like the 5 month stage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2005
We got a refund from the store, which turns out to be very shady, selling cats with aids and lukemia, so we dont even know if the stor eknew already that she was sick. I dont want an older kitten, as that would be larger than one of my other cats, who stopped growing at like the 5 month stage.
Glad you got a refund, but I'm still sorry that you had to go through all of that. I'm not sure what's worse with the disease; losing a kitten or finding out that you can risk the health of any other kittens that come into your home because you lost a kitten to it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

I think losing the kitten, as you may not be sure if you are to get a kitten again.

Though I know I would like to.

The thing also with the6 month one would be were to find one. I know that Rose Hope has them, but our vet doesnt believe in getting cats from there, as he thinks they are more likely to be sick, so he said its best to get one from a private person, whos cat just got pregnate, then have it cgecked at the office.

Personally I think its the other way around
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 05:06 PM

Is there any association to report the pet shop to, such as Trading Standards for example? Thankfully, normal pet shops here in the UK don't sell live animals.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

well I know that rose hope is trying to close down the shop. And its a shame that they had to be so shady, and wouldnt even want to give back the money, as they had such good fish prices.

Does anyone else have an opinion on how long to wait, or kitten age? I was wondering if a cat younger than 6 months would be okay, but obviously older than the 8-12 wekks that they usually are sold at.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2005, 10:51 PM

ugggggggggggggggggggh, that is SO sad, I'm so sorry for your loss!!!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

thanks
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 07:28 PM

I was told that it takes seven years for the distemper virus to leave an area. And that's if it's not continually being passed from cat to cat in the process. Until that time, whatever cat that was brought in would have to be vaccinated for it and enough time was to transpire for the vaccine to take effect.So the cat would have to live elsewhere for a time, several weeks or more before a new cat could be brought into a house where the distemper virus was still present.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page