My secret for improving the quality of dry cat food. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

My secret for improving the quality of dry cat food.

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about why canned food is better than dry food. Still lots of us feed our cats dry food as part of their diet and some cat owners can't get their cats to eat canned food. I personally feed a combination of both dry and canned. We've been complaining about the quality of dry cat foods. Too many grains, too many carbs, not enough quality animal based protein. Want to screw up your pet food company's recipe just a bit for the better? Well here is a way to alter the recipe of your dry cat food a little bit without causing any mycotoxins because the food will still be what it is, DRY.

Visit this website.

www.halopets.com

Order Liv-a-Littles Whole Chicken Treats(or beef if your cat likes that) It's good for both cats and dogs. Crumble a few pieces of freeze dried chicken into your cats dry food and easily a dry cat food that lists as

Chicken meal, corn meal, corn gluten, Brewer's rice.... becomes.
Chicken meal, dried chicken, corn meal, corn gluten

Well this is just an example. Many of us would not choose a food with corn meal or corn gluten but no offense to those who do. In my case the Rabbit and Pea dry food I feed changes from

Ground peas, rabbit meal, rabbit, pea protein......changes to
Ground peas, rabbit meal, rabbit, pea protein, dried chicken

The 30% protein in my dry cat food increased a little higher. Of course you still want to keep things balanced so a little freeze dried chicken goes along way.

Have fun! And remember, always do the opposite of what pet food companies tell you to do. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:15 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I do the same thing....almost....

I put Tetra tropical fish flakes on my cats' dry food. It is high protein, low carb, and full of cartenoids to help my cats look better.

My cats eat all kinds of different foods all the time. In my opinion, cats can tolerate frequent food changes if they are used to it when they are young.

Also, there are more than one kinds of freeze-dried treats. Here is one more: http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/Nature_s_ ... 131056.htm
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Shengmei, that's a great website! I like the Nature's Variety freeze dried diets because they can be fed as a meal but I'll bet they're expensive. The website also carries the Halo Liv-A-Littles freeze dried chicken treats.

Your cats like tetra-fish flakes because they smell like tuna. So it's a nice treat but I don't believe it will improve the quality of dry cat food. It's best to add some real freeze dried meat such as chicken or chicken liver or lamb that does not have any artificial colors or preservatives and is all natural.

Fish food is more like adding those thin dried tuna flakes to your cat's food. You can buy tuna flakes for cats in pet stores without artificial colors and preservatives. It improves the flavor and is tasty, nothing wrong with it. But it's much less nutritious. But by all means have fun and spoil your cat with it. I don't think it will do any harm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Banned

Actually it has yeast extract, too. I like yeast extract because it is high in amino acids
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggiegirl
Shengmei, that's a great website! I like the Nature's Variety freeze dried diets because they can be fed as a meal but I'll bet they're expensive. The website also carries the Halo Liv-A-Littles freeze dried chicken treats.
I just checked the prices. Halo is $9.98 for three ounces (about $50 per pound). Nature's Variety Prairie is $22.99 for pound.

Personally, I always buy really expensive foods as treats. Even the most expensive cat food is still way cheaper than treats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page