Heart Murmurs. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Heart Murmurs.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, just found it today!

I took my youngest kitten to the Vets today, for her vaccinations and flea treatments. While we were there, she had a general check-up as well, and the Vet found a heart murmur - she said it was quite a big Heart Murmur, and that Lola should be referred for a scan on her heart, to check how bad it is.
I must admit I'm very shocked - I never expected this, and am wondering what can be done if the heart murmur is bad? Medications, etc? She is fully insured, so money is not a problem, I just want to ensure she is well.
We go back in 2 weeks for her 2nd shots, and the Vet felt it best to check her heart again then, and then refer her if it is still there.

Does anyone have any infomation/experiance with Heart Murmurs?

Many thanks,
Marie xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 03:08 PM

Hi Marie,

My cat Arthur has a very promounced Heart Murmor, he was diagnosed with it when he was around 2 years old, he is now about 7 years old. It can be controlled with medication although Arthur is not on medication as the vet felt that he had been born with it therefore he would learn to cope with it without any problems. He also had an ultrasound scan to check how bad it was.

He is very active and you would never know.

Is your kitten very active? If he is I wouldn't worry too much I believe Emma_Pen on here also has a cat with a heart murmur and you would never know.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
My Sunshine have a heart murmur, too. I found it out in April. I buy taurine supplements from GNC and it makes the heart murmur a lot better. Dandelion makes the heart murmur a lot better. I also got a water fountain to make sure he has plenty of water. I brought a couple of cat furnitures for exercise.

When a cat has a heart murmur it is crucial that he gets enough amino acids. I chose to free feed my baby kitten food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
There are two types of heart murmur (that I know of). One is an innocent murmur, which would have no influence on the kitten's life. There is a more serious murmur that can greatly shorten his life. The vet must suspect that it is not an innocent, or functional murmur. The test will tell the tale. I do hope it's not serious.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick replies, Girls.

I do hope its an innocent murmur - I wish I had asked more questions, but I was quite shocked at the time. I did ask if she would be very ill, but she just said the scan would tell us more, so I'm not sure if she knew, but didnt want to say, or if she was just being over-cautious.

She did say that as she is so young, she 'may' grow out of it.

EmmaG - Lola is very active - forever tearing about the place like a mad thing, a typical kitten. She does her fair share of sleeping, but I guess thats normal, as she is a baby.

Shengmei - Lola is currently on kitten food, and I'll keep her on it, I'll talk to my vet about it.

Jeanie - Thanks for your advice.

Marie xx
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 05:36 PM

A lot of kittens/puppies diagnosed with heart murmurs 'grow out of it' ie they disappear or lessen with age. Heart murmurs are graded on a scaled of 1-5, the higher the number being the louder the murmur. On your records at the vets, the vet will have recorded the grade of the heart murmur, so they can assess any change at the next appointment. At this early stage, there is no point in panicking or worrying yourself overly.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 06:12 PM

If I remember correctly, heart murmers are typically caused by either heart injury, or by genetics. With the kitten obviously being so young, it would probably be safe to assume that it wasnt heart injury that caused the murmer, it was likely heriditary from its parents. The good thing is, being he is young, hopefully he will grow out of it as his body matures. It wouldnt surprise me if the vet recommends making sure there is adequate taurine in the diet, since it does play a role in heart development for growing kittens if I remember correctly.

Shengmei, out of curiosity, how do you know that the excess taurine and dandelions were helping with the murmer? If it was improving, how do you know what was improving it? Just like you used to always say how you didnt like Innova because "it gave your cat a heart murmer", im wondering how you come up with the concrete evidence.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 06:49 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
He had a much bigger appetite. He started being much more active and more affectionate. His heart murmur used to be very audible with a sterenoscope, and now it is barely audible. He is sitting on my shoulder purring right now (which makes it almost impossible to type )

Either he grew out of it or the treatments helped. I am just glad he got better.

Also, Innova was okay....it was the EVO that caused problems...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 08:33 PM

How do you know the EVO caused the problem? Just because he was eating it at the time that the murmer was discovered doesnt mean it was the culprit. Im just saying be careful throwing around accusations against foods or companies without having concrete evidence to back it up.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 05:59 AM

I believe (from what my vet told me) that they can be born with the heart murmor and the heart is deformed in such a way that the blood supply to and from the heart doesn't leave the heart as easily as it would do normally, this type of heart murmor doesn't get and worse nor does it get any better, if the cat is very active and shows no signs of being out of breath after playing then it is very indicitave that the cat was born with the heart murmor and has learned to live with it. Drugs are not necessary to improve the cats health

The other type of heart murmor is when the valves in the heart start to thicken and cause the blood to have more trouble entering and leaving the heart, this type of murmour can get worse, but it can be treated with drugs to make sure it does not get any worse.

HTH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page