Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Simpsonville, SC
I'd imagine you have to wait a certain amount of time before he will test positive if he did contract the disease. I'm not sure of that though.
There is a vaccine available. Its not commonly given to most cats, and only came up when a girl I used to work with had her outdoor cat test positive for FIV. She wanted to keep him, but has three young kittens living in her house and wanted to weigh her options. Basically, the vaccine isn't 100%, AND it causes perfectly healthy cats to test positive for FIV (so how do you know if they're testing postiive for the vaccine or the disease?). Also, if they were to escape and get picked up by a shelter and tested, they'd be put down, so a microchip is an absolute must.
However, the vaccine is one of those things that I personally wouldn't start looking into. You may want to consider keeping your cat indoors for the rest of his life (if he's been in three fights this year, it doesn't seem very safe out there). I'd at least keep him in for the next while until you can determine whether or not he has the disease. For one, it will keep him from possibly spreading it, and if he doesn't have it, it will keep him away from any who may have it.
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."