FIV?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 04:01 AM Thread Starter

FIV??

Hi,

My cat has recently been bitten by what i am guessing is an un-neutored tom cat which may be stray if its appearance is anything to go by.

My cat Keegan was bitten on the top of his tail (for the 3rd time in a year) and bled an awful lot. Every year he has his vaccinations, and his next lot are due in November. At the vets they gave for (for his bite) an injection and anti biotics to be taken over the next 4 days. My mother in law took him to the vet, so didn't really ask any questions (i gave her a list of things to ask, but mother in laws being mother in laws, she didn't ask them!) What i want to know is, is it possible that my cat picked up FIV from this un-neutored (?) stray?? Do the vaccinations he has each year not protect him from FIV, and/or will the injection the vet gave him for his bite help prevent/protect him from FIV??

It's really worrying me that he may have contracted FIV. I would phone my vets to enquire about it, BUT they aren't the friendliest and i probably wouldn't even be able to get past the unhelpful vetinary receptionist

Thanks for any help you can offer me in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 07:38 AM

I have never heard of a vaccination against FIV, at least not here in the UK. Even if there was a vaccination, no vaccination is 100% effective. FIV is contracted through bites from an infected cat. When my cat got into a fight, I got him tested. Its the only way to know for sure, and its best to know. If he does have the disease, he can live happily and fine for years & years must must be kept strictly indoors to prevent spreading the disease to others. Good luck, and let me know the results.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to OsnobunnieO
I'd imagine you have to wait a certain amount of time before he will test positive if he did contract the disease. I'm not sure of that though.

There is a vaccine available. Its not commonly given to most cats, and only came up when a girl I used to work with had her outdoor cat test positive for FIV. She wanted to keep him, but has three young kittens living in her house and wanted to weigh her options. Basically, the vaccine isn't 100%, AND it causes perfectly healthy cats to test positive for FIV (so how do you know if they're testing postiive for the vaccine or the disease?). Also, if they were to escape and get picked up by a shelter and tested, they'd be put down, so a microchip is an absolute must.

However, the vaccine is one of those things that I personally wouldn't start looking into. You may want to consider keeping your cat indoors for the rest of his life (if he's been in three fights this year, it doesn't seem very safe out there). I'd at least keep him in for the next while until you can determine whether or not he has the disease. For one, it will keep him from possibly spreading it, and if he doesn't have it, it will keep him away from any who may have it.

Jessie

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 04:36 PM

We have vaccinations for FeLV, but not FIV. I don't think I would vaccinate against it, personally.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 05:15 PM

This is an article I just read in the paper today about FIV cats:
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/lifest ... enDocument

I would talk to your vet about it and see about having your cat tested. Many cats that test positive lead normal lives with no symptoms. If you have other cats, or if you remain to let your cat outside, then I would look into the vaccine. I have also heard that the vaccine isn't always effective. If your cat repeadly gets in fights, then keeping him inside would be best.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 04:34 AM

FIV positive cats must never be allowed free access to the outdoors, as there is always the risk of infecting other cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page