Neutering - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Neutering

Is there an age where it would be unsuitable for a cat to be neutered/spayed? I was wondering if it would be safe for a senior cat to have such an operation without it causing any problems?

Thank you all in advance.

xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 07:43 AM

Are you referring to Teabag? The chances are she will already be speyed, but thats no guarantee. I would wait, personally, to see if she shows any sign of season, or get her flank shaved to search for a suspicious scar. The only way to tell 100% whether she IS speyed would be to open her up, which we have done before. Even a scar could be from something else.

If you were to get her opened up or you know she is entire and need to get her done, make sure you get a pre-op bloodscreen done first to check that all is okay. We always offer bloodsceens to every animal over the age of 8 coming in for surgery. If all is well on bloods, we have done plenty of surgery on very old animals without problem.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Apparently they thought she was neutered but was caught calling the other day so they now believe she is not. It then occured to me that she has been living rough and was quite thin when they took her in and has a liver infection and is also possibly 12 years old and I was worrying if there was an age limit or if she would be ok or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:23 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I thought 12 year olds are no longer sexually active, so I am not so sure neutering would do any good.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 02:55 PM

Cats never experience menopause. There are reports of 16 year old momma cats. How long have you had her? or been watching her?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 04:38 PM

A liver infection was diagnosed after blood tests? If she is entire, its never too late to spey, and the risks of her developing pyometra if left unspeyed are very increased. I would take her to the vets, test her for everything, get her healthy, and get her done. We have speyed 14 year old dogs & cats in the past, but they should be healthy first, unless of course they have a pyo.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

She is not my responsibility yet she is still with the cats protection. So I beleive they are having the tests and getting her neutered which is why i wont have her for another month yet!

Apparently yes she did have blood tests which is how she was diagnosed with liver infection and is currently on medication for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page