Stinky kitty breath - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

Stinky kitty breath

My poor cat.... he tries to love on my face but his breath smells awful. I wont go into detail but just imagine a really bad catty-related smell.

I have tried to give him kitty breath treats but he wont eat them so I tried the tartar control breath treats but since they are "crunchy" he doesnt want to eat those either.
Spooky likes moist treats...

I have attempted to try and brush his teeth with the kind of paste and brush you get at a pet store but that was very unsuccesful.

I was wondering if anyone around here had any suggestions or would be willing to share any methods you might have tried on your own cats for thier breath...thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:12 AM

Hi, questions for you.

How old is your kitty?
What are you feeding?
When was the last time kitty had a compete health check at the vet including an oral exam?
If he is over 2 years old, has he ever had his teeth cleaned by the vet?
Are the gums a normal healthy pink or do they look red and inflamed?
Do you see deposits on the teeth?
If he goes outside can you be sure he is FeLV/FIV negative?
How is his digestion? What kind of poops are you finding in the litter box?

Gingivitis and teeth that need cleaning, bad digestion, or a systemic disease can all cause bad breath in a cat. So first you need to find out where the bad breath is coming from and then you can do something about it.
Brushing the teeth at home is only effective after the teeth have been cleaned professionally. Unfortunately it's no substitute for a dental appointment.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 04:13 AM
Cat Addict

Trixie used to have really bad breath due to bad teeth. She had a dental done and her breath was much better afterwards. I definatly suggest having a vet look at her teeth so they can tell you if they need to be cleaned.

Did you know that bad oral hygiene can lead to other problems besides gum disease? The bacteria from gum disease can on occasion spread to other parts of the body, such as the kidney, liver and heart.
I only wish I had known that sooner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Banned

Another vote for tooth cleaning. Once it's gone far enough to cause bad breath, teeth brushing and other measures aren't going to be enough. They're all meant as prevention, not cure.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

My cat is 9 months old and his most recent vet visit was just last week and the vet did check him for everything, everywhere in everyway (tramizizing for kitty!)
The vet said that he was very healthy and nothing seemed to be wrong at all. Spooky's gums are pink and healthy like they should be and his stools are solid.

I feed my cat Authority dry food and once a week I feed him Special kitty can of wet food (small can)

Is there any kind of different food that I should be giving him- or an easier way to clean his teeth?

Thank you everyone for your feedback
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:06 PM

If you have a young, healthy kitty, the bad breath is the result of a digestive problem. So, when choosing food, the emphasis will have to be on high quality, easy to digest ingredients, NOT on cleaning the teeth.
Please visit some small, individually owned pet supply stores and switch your cat over to a canned diet. There are many, many good brands to choose from, start with something simple as Innova or Wellness, then explore other foods such as Eagle Pack, Chicken Soup, etc, etc, etc.
There are many good choices, what you feed should always be determined by what your cat can easily digest without any problems.
Looking for simple recipes with relatively few ingredients is a wise precaution.
Always avoid foods with brewer's rice and corn, wheat and soy and all their by-products.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowmie
If you have a young, healthy kitty, the bad breath is the result of a digestive problem. So, when choosing food, the emphasis will have to be on high quality, easy to digest ingredients, NOT on cleaning the teeth.
Please visit some small, individually owned pet supply stores and switch your cat over to a canned diet. There are many, many good brands to choose from, start with something simple as Innova or Wellness, then explore other foods such as Eagle Pack, Chicken Soup, etc, etc, etc.
There are many good choices, what you feed should always be determined by what your cat can easily digest without any problems.
Looking for simple recipes with relatively few ingredients is a wise precaution.
Always avoid foods with brewer's rice and corn, wheat and soy and all their by-products.
Thank you so much ... it was very helpful
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:13 PM
Banned

Good to hear your kitty's healthy!!

About teeth, though, there's nothing you can do to actually clean teeth. You can KEEP them clean, though. I wanted to make that distinction. Bacterial action on food residue forms plaque, and over time plaque hardens to form tartar. Only the scraping done during professional tooth cleaning can actually remove tartar.

You can prevent it from building up in the first place by good dental hygiene. The best is daily tooth brushing, followed by dental chews and rinses. There's some studies done with debatable results that show feeding dry food produces less build-up than wet. However, wet food has other health benefits, so the type of food fed is, IMO, an offset. Good dental hygiene is more important for good oral care than food choice.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
Good to hear your kitty's healthy!!

About teeth, though, there's nothing you can do to actually clean teeth. You can KEEP them clean, though. I wanted to make that distinction. Bacterial action on food residue forms plaque, and over time plaque hardens to form tartar. Only the scraping done during professional tooth cleaning can actually remove tartar.

You can prevent it from building up in the first place by good dental hygiene. The best is daily tooth brushing, followed by dental chews and rinses. There's some studies done with debatable results that show feeding dry food produces less build-up than wet. However, wet food has other health benefits, so the type of food fed is, IMO, an offset. Good dental hygiene is more important for good oral care than food choice.
Thank you very much Tim.... I just wish that my cat would eat his tartar control treats. He doesnt like them because they are crunchy treats and not the moist kind. I cant find moist treats with tartar control protection, and as far as brushing ..etc thats going to be a rather intresting thing to accopmlish. He even hates it when I clip his nails!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Banned

Have you tried these?

C.E.T. Cat Dental Chews

They're soft, so your cat might like them. Kind of expensive, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page