Moving w/ Indoor Kitties on Saturday (7/30)- Please Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via Yahoo to smootchick
Moving w/ Indoor Kitties on Saturday (7/30)- Please Help!

Hello everyone!

I have had 2 indoor-only cats for about 2 years now and will be moving from central Kentucky to south Florida over the weekend, stopping over on Saturday night in south Georgia. I'm not taking a U-Haul so they will be in my Honda Civic.

I've always had cats but have never had to move with them. Here are my questions- I could really use some advice!

-Should my kitties stay in their cat carriers or should I let them roam about the car and find a "spot"?

-How can I minimize stops for them? Is it cruel to fast them on Friday before the move so they won't have to pee or poop as much?

-I bought a small litter box and some liners to make the pit stops as easy as possible, but since they're indoor kitties I don't feel comfortable with them leaving the car until I get to my hotel. How can the bathroom/eating/drinking situation be improved? How often should I offer water or food? I'm talking about 10 hours on the road, easy, on the first day.

-When I get to the hotel should I let them out in the room or keep them in the bathroom in case they find a place to hide or crawl under the bed, etc.?

-What can I do to make the trip least stressful for them? We're travelling a long way. I am going to have towels and toys in the kitty carriers for them but is there anything else I can do?

Any other moving advice you have is greatly appreciated. I've been thinking about all this but still haven't figured out the best way to go. I'm absolutely clueless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 03:21 PM

I have a friend who is moving 14 hours away with her cats that have to go in litter boxes and she is planning on sedating them for the trip. I don't know how your cats handle it, but when I take my cat to my mother's house (about an hour away) she cries the whole time and scratches the cat carrier. I might suggest talking with a vet about the least traumatic way to do it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 08:19 PM

We've moved with cats before and it turned out easier than I thought it would be. I only had one at a time though. I would always keep the cat in a carrier. So much safer for them. I think they feel safer in their little area too. Put a little blanket or piece of clothing with your scent in there with them. The cat carriers we had at those times had a little water dish you could attach and we'd put just a little bit of water in it. We would make stops at rest stops when we needed a break. The cat usually didn't eat much until we got to the hotel at night. But good to let them stretch and go to the bathroom. Usually they don't have to stop too often. You could go to an area of the rest area that isn't too busy and put down a blanket and all the supplies. Of course we always kept ours on a leash (we've always had indoor cats too). At the hotel we let the cat go everywhere and they seemed to like the hotels. Most cats don't enjoy car rides that much but I found talking to them in the beginning of the ride and then playing soft music settled them down and they'd be quiet. Good luck on your move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 09:01 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockysMom
I would always keep the cat in a carrier. So much safer for them.
I have to second this. It is also safer for you. You don't want your cats flipping out and crawling all over you and crawling under the brake pedals when you're zooming down the highway. We almost had that happen when we were bringing our girls home from the shelter as kittens. They gave them to us in cardboard boxes, which of course they squirmed out of, and they started hiding under the seats and we were terrified that one would go under the brake pedal and either get squished, or cause us to crash.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 09:07 PM

I like the calming music idea. This might sound funny, but when I sing in the car my cat howls and scratches so much more (She's so mean)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 09:31 PM

Well, I moved with my 2 indoor only cats from WI to NM a few years ago, it was a 2 day trip.
I sedated them before the trip.
They really did sleep pretty much the whole time.
I never let them out of their carriers until I got to the hotel. Even then, if I left the hotel for any reason, I locked them in the bathroom of the hotel.

They never needed the litterbox during the drive.
I withheld food and water durning the drive, but gave them food and water at the hotel.

Jennifer
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via Yahoo to smootchick
Thank you all for the help! I also called the vet yesterday and got some sedating medicine so hopefully they'll be just fine. The vet recommended I fast them after this morning. I put a little bit of food in their bowl this morning, but not enough to last all day.

Tomorrow will be the true test. They haven't had to take meds before so getting them to swallow a pill should be fun.

Hopefully they won't be too traumatized and will want to receive snuggles when we get to the hotel room Saturday evening.

The blanket and leash thing is a great idea I never would have thought of! Thank you for that- I may see how that goes!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 02:42 PM
Cool Cat

Guess it depends on your cats, but both my nephew and I have driven our cats up to 8 hours without any problems. I've done it several times but with only one cat per trip.

I set up an area for them with a blanket and litter box and keep them in the carrier til I get going and then let them out and they have always just hung out on the balnket and slept. When I stop for gas, I put them back in the carrier. When Sebastian was little, he slept on my lap for an 8 hour drive.

In the hotel room I would probably keep them in the bathroom - they would probably be more comfortable in a small area. Plus, who knows what they might "find" under a hotel bed? ewwwww!!

Well good luck and happy moving!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 02:45 PM

Be very careful if you choose to use a leash. It doesn't take much for a freaked out cat to squirm it's way out of a collar. Loosing your cat in a strange place is a very bad thing.

Jennifer
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 02:54 PM

I agree about being careful with a cat on a leash. We've always used a harness instead of just a collar. And whenever moving make sure to have a tag on the kittly with a cell phone number or new number etc where someone can be reached.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page