I was here a few weeks ago when my baby Boo Boo (4, male) had a blocked urethra. I haven't been around much b/c law school exams are coming up and they are BRUTAL!
Nevertheless, my sweet baby boy is sick again
We've spent over $1600 in the past few months between two adopted kitties and an adopted parrot w/ previously broken back, so we're a bit financially strapped. (We have four kittes, three adopted, and the bird... and they all decided to get sick at the SAME TIME!!)
Anyway, so Boo is sick again, I put him back on UTI prescription, although I'm trying to be sure it's not a blocked urethra, and I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback:
1. He still does urinate. The diagnostic kitty litter yesterday put him somewhere in the serious range, and yesterday is when I started him on antibiotics. Last night he went twice, one a smallish drop, the other a smallish clump... bigger than I've seen in two days though. This morning he went once but it was in the bigger litter box with the other cats so I'm not sure how large it was.
2. He's not drinking much, and I'm having a hard time encouraging him that this is a good thing to do. I tried chicken broth, and I tried adding water to his favorite canned food... Not. Interested. He did lap some water last night, but that's the last I've seen him drink.
3. I got cranberry powder from the petstore yesterday. Again, he won't touch anything that has it on or mixed in it. In desperation last night I just put a little cap of it in his mouth. He hated me the rest of the night. He is good at pill taking... could I get a bottle of pills from the natural food store and give him half a human one?
4. The little red UTI pain relief pills... I get UTIs too and have a bunch of these lovely red pills. Could I quarter one and give it to him to alleviate some of the discomfort?
5. Basic observations... does it sound like a partially blocked urethra or just UTI? He's not constantly trying different litter boxes, and he's not in the litter box every 10 min like before. He just goes a few times a day, it's just very small amounts. Also, he's not licking himself as though he's in pain like he did a few weeks ago... Just normal grooming activities... Does this sound like just a UTI?
Thanks... sorry to overwhelm with so many questions, but I really can't take him to the vet unless he's officially blocked, and then we're not sure what we're going to do. The babes aren't all supposed to get sick at the same time!!!