Wet food question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Wet food question

So we switched to wet food after reading the articles about how much better it is for cats (e.g. protein vs. carbs). One of our cats, though (our monster girl) hates the loaf kind. She refuses to eat it. Unfortunately that's what the majority of what hairball maintenance comes in: traditional loafstyle. She will only eat the cuts in gravy though. There is nothing like a starving 18 lb cat standing on your stomach and WAILING at you until you give her something acceptable to eat. I keep thinking that she will eat when she gets hungry enough but she is a stubborn girl and won't.

I'm worried about hairballs though as she is a longhaired beast.

Have any of you with longhaired cats had problems with hairballs if you are NOT feeding the hairball maintenance? On dry food that's all we fed--the Nutro Hairball Maintenance, with great success.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:52 AM

I don't have a long haired cat (maybe med hair) but my 14 yr old always has had trouble with hairballs. I fed her a science diet dry for hairballs. Didn't seem to help that much. Since switching to Wellness canned (not for hairballs) she hardly has hair balls anymore. Because there is so much moisture it must move thru her system fast. And she loves the taste.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:31 AM

Two of my cats are longer haired cats and hairballs don't seem to be a big problem here. Mine do eat some dry food although not the hairball kind. The rest is canned. I think canned food may help with the problem though because of the increased moisture. If you are worried abour hairballs there is stuff you can get for hairballs rather than relying on hairball food. If you want your cat to eat the loaf kind, would it help to mix just alittle bit in with the the kind she likes and then just gradually increase it until she's used to it? She sounds like quite a big girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Aye yay yay she is indeed a BIG GIRL And she insists on sleeping on my stomach most nights (I love her to pieces so I don't really mind).

She's also super clever in that if you DO mix the cuts in with the loaf kind she will pick out the cuts and leave the loaf

The point about moisture in the wet food is good; I wonder if that does keep hairballs obsolete.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page