Any input on the following natural wet foods I just got? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Any input on the following natural wet foods I just got?

I went to pick up the 2 bags of Nature's Miracle Litter (more on this later) and restocked my supply of wet food. One thing I discovered that pleased me immensely is that my favorite cat store stocks only high quality natural wet foods. I did not find a single one with bad ingredients. Here are the ones I picked up. I have not previously tried any of these nor do I know if the prices are out of line with the norm. Anyone tried any of these?

Also, how can I find out the kcal/can of these if it's not listed on the can or web sites?

Wysong - Turkey Au Jus and Chicken Au Jus. 5.5oz cans, $1.45 each. This is apparently just turkey meat, turkey heart, and water, and not intended as a sole source of food (or chicken & chicken heart).

Petguard - Chicken & Wheat Germ. 14oz can, $1.50.

Addiction - Unagi & Seaweed Entree / New Zealand Brushtail & Vegetable Entree. 6oz can, $1.39. This stuff is interesting, comes from new zealand. And by the way, brushtail is some kind of forest rodent. I didn't know this at first, seems kind of gross to me. But my cats might like it.

Newman's Own - Chicken & Salmon Formula. 5.5oz, $0.99. I like the fact that everything is certified organic in this thing, and the ingredients aren't too bad. But unfortunately my pet store told me they will stop carrying it soon.

Solid Gold - Blended Tuna / Chicken, Turkey, White Fish & Liver Formulas. 6oz / 5.5oz, $0.89. One of my cats would eat her own paw if it were made of tuna, so I thought I'd get this as a treat. While they both ate up the tuna serving, they didn't lick the bowl as they do with some types (evo wet, for example).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
For the Wysong one, my cats love turkey much more than chicken.

I pay about $2 for Wysong. However, I buy the dog Wysong instead of cat Wysong (the ingredients are the same) and mine comes in 14 ounce cans.

I love Petguard very much. It is my favorite brand, especially since it is also Kosher and they don't have any animal testing at all. My favorite store sells 5.5 ounce cans for about $2. You only paid $1.5 for 14 ounce cans....that is amazing. It is four times cheaper than what I pay for.

Newman's Own is a HORRIBLE brand. They make disgusting food (both human and animal).

Haven't tried the other brands yet.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Disgusting in taste or ingredients? The ingredients of this particular one looked ok to me. http://www.newmansownorganics.com/pet/p ... cat_canned.

There was a 14oz wysong "feline diet" type thing. that is a regular cat food and not solely meat and heart, though. Is that what you mean or is there a larger heart/meat only product?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
The ingredients are perfectly fine. The texture and taste were off. Newman's Own have never been known to make tasty food....for human or animal. They always just blend a whole bunch of healthy ingredients, but they always forget about the taste. Maybe if I mix it with something tasty like Fancy Feast my cats can finally eat it.

The 14 ounce Wysong Au Jus is what I use. It is just organic meats and hearts.

That Petguard thing you brought was an incredibly deal. I am quite jealous.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Premier Cat

Re: Any input on the following natural wet foods I just got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder
Also, how can I find out the kcal/can of these if it's not listed on the can or web sites?
The best place to get this info is to call the company that makes the food. Pet food companies are usually pretty good about providing nutritional info to callers.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymekaps
Quote:
The best place to get this info is to call the company that makes the food. Pet food companies are usually pretty good about providing nutritional info to callers.
That requires me to interact with humans directly! Blech.

I might have to do it, though. I don't want to wind up feeding them some 2000kcal/kg wet food.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lymekaps
Quote:
That requires me to interact with humans directly! Blech.
Too funny.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Looks like you've got some good advice so far, I have nothing too much further to add...
You got great foods, and it seems that you got them for less than I've seen around here. Let me know what your kitties think of the "Addiction" since I've heard good things about it but havn't been able to find it yet.

Wysong Au Jus is Canine/Feline, there isn't a specific cat or dog formula. The sizes are exactly the same food, just different cans. You also mentioned that it is not complete. If anyone were to feed it exclusively they would NEED to suppliment it, because it would be very imbalanced.

I also reccomend calling the companies or e-mailing them to find out the kcal/cup info, most of the higher end pet food companies have excellent customer service

<--Julia

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately several of the foods I got had become gelatinous due to the cold weather. I left them in my car as I drove for 30 minutes only, so I suspect it was a shipping issue. So I can't say whether the cats really "like" most of them, as they do not like jello like foods (it happened to me once before with innova but was my fault that time).

I am having serious doubts about petguard and the wysong au jus products, though. I would hesitate to feed my cats only 2/3 of a can total between the two of them, but that is roughly what I would need to feed them to keep the calorie intake the same as wellness.

14oz Petguard has 740 kCal, which is about 53 kcal per oz, compared to low 30's of wellness and addiction, and high 30's of evo.

Wysong has 455 for turkey and 519 for chicken, which is rougly 83 and 94 kcal per oz.

Addiction has only 200 or 220, which is in the same ball park as wellness. Evo has 217. Solid Gold is a bit high as well, about 45 kcal / oz.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:24 AM

LOL, well im not a huge fan of the newman petfoods (a little grain heavy, IMO) but this thread made me because im sitting here eating Fig Newman's for breakfast (thats newman's own brand fig bars) and i love these things... they also make a tasty oreo type cookie. so shengmei, i respectfully disagree. i like Newmans' own ranch dressing, too...ooh, and the peanut butter cups. cant say that ive sampled the catfood.

my cats liked petguard quite a bit, and i occasionally give them a can of solid gold tuna as a treat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page