Is there hope? Don't want to loose him. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Is there hope? Don't want to loose him.

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been crying all day because something happened to my cat today and already i am facing the worst.
He - 12 year old male cat --was absolutely fine this morning. Soon after his usual morning routine i noticed he had started to have some twitches. An hour later I noticed he was limpling on his right front paw. I examined it and there was no cuts, no bruises. He began to howl and breathe heavily. Soon after that he was crying non-stop and no longer was able to walk, he had stop walking on his paw pads and started to flip it over, so he walked on his "wrist". As soon as I saw the color of his pads change from pink to purple then to white i rushed to the vet. Also, the hurt paw was a lot colder than the healthy one.
The vet was very knoweledgeble and he did a routine exam. His heart, lung, kidneys, temperiture--everything seemed fine and healthy. The vet didn't find any fractures, so he ruled out broken bones.
And then he told me possible causes. Thromboembolic desease, cardiomyopathy = heart desease. A blood clot traveled to his leg and it is cutting the blood circulation. I could not afford further tests then--(it was in Manhattan clinic) and took my baby home.
I've read most articles on line about the desease, and the outlook is very grim.
Few hours ago I noticed that his leg had completely stiffened and he is keepping his "fingers" curled in, like a cripple. He can't even move it below elbow joint. When i gently try to straighten the leg, he meows in great pain. It feels like his paw is paralysed. OMg.

I am trying to find as much information possible on all possible causes, and i've read few posts that describe these symptoms...all make me cry even more. Those poor kitties had to be amputated. No words....

For some strange reason I can't find that much information about cats sprains and torn muscles....i pray that the sympthoms are the same. If anyone ever experienced this, or even heard of such cases---please let me know.
He was happy and healthy this morning and now he can't even move, i can't bare it.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Cool Cat

My cat has had a leg sprain recently, but was just given pain medicine for 4 days and now she seems over it,

another time she sprained the muscle inbetween her front shoulders and was given some medicine to reduce the swelling, and she took a couple of weeks to recover.

I wish you well with your fella, sounds like your having a hard time watching him and I hope your Vet at least persued a remedy for what the symptoms fit,

you could also try calling another Vet, sometime ones from rural areas are a little more affordable and may have some experience with your specific symptoms.

I can't be of much more help except to encourage you to keep trying to help him, he is lucky to have you care so much.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 01:20 AM

I think I would take him to another vet too for his/her opinion. For one thing your cat seems to be in pain or very uncomfortable. Did your vet help at all in this area? I myself would think about taking him into an emergency clinic. He sounds like he is getting worse fast. Is there maybe a Vet school that will see animals and the cost is less? I hope someone online can give you more info on your questions. Thoughts are with you. I hope he is ok. I can imagine how helpless you must feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page