Fussy Eater. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Fussy Eater.

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend

Her cat 'Tammy' is now 12 and she just won't eat anything. They buy her lots of different varieties of canned meat but after the first tin/foil/sachet she turns her nose up and won't eat it anymore. She has started to lose a little weight, nothing major, but she has been to the vet and had all the necessary blood tests and she is perfectly healthy. They have resorted to cooking her fish every day but think she will soon get sick of this too. She also has biscuits there all the time but doesn't seem interested in them either.
Any suggestions?

Remember we are in the UK so brand names may not really mean anything.

sallyann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:46 AM

Since this kitty is 12 years old, my first question would be, did the vet do a very thorough oral exam?

Cats at that age (and much earlier too) can have dental problems (bad teeth - cracked or broken teeth, cavities, an abscessed tooth, etc - and gum disease) that make eating uncomfortable or quite painful. With cats such a problem is not always easily noticeable, sometimes fussy eating and weight loss are the only signs.

Also, something can be going on in the digestive system and blood results don't always show such problems. It would be wise to ask for an abdominal X-ray and depending on what this shows, an ultrasound after that.
Your friend should also ask for a chest X-ray.

If the vet didn't do a thyroid test, your friend should ask for a thyroid test as well.

You don't mention whether there is any sneezing, nasal discharge, etc, any vague signs that might indicate a problem with the nose or the sinuses. These problems can affect a cat's sense of smell and lead to anorexia.

What about the stools? Does this kitty have perfectly normal stools and is she regular? Has the possibility of constipation been ruled out?
Please ask your friend for details about the stools. (Loose, hard, whatever, there may be a clue somewhere.)

I'm trying to say that at this point, anything that hasn't been looked at has to be looked at, and your friend has to insist on more diagnostic work, including the very thorough oral exam I mentioned on top.

Quote:
she has been to the vet and had all the necessary blood tests and she is perfectly healthy
Unfortunately there are many health problems that don't show up in bloodwork results. Also, you need to find out what exactly was done.
Quite often vets only do a partial profile which doesn't cover everything.
In addition, owners can be given the wrong information about test results. (I remember one owner who was told nothing was wrong and sadly it turned out that the cat had liver disease.)

Here is some very basic information for your friend:

http://www.petplace.com/cats/anorexia-i ... page1.aspx

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/Ar ... isease.htm

http://www.assistfeed.com/FelineAnorexia.htm
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
If everything fails, you can always try Whiskas cat milk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Yes, she's had a full dental exam last year, all her teeth cleaned and no problems. Tammy had a thyroid test done when she had all her blood work done last year but I will tell her to try had abdominal and chest xrays done if she can and then possibly an ultrasound.
Tammy seems perfectly healthy within herself, no sneezing, discharge etc and her stools are normal aswell and she's pretty regular.
Thanks for all the help and the information for Tammy.
Something I didn't really say though in my first post is that Tammy's owners buy her some nice new food and she will eat it all for a couple of days so they think "great, we've found something she likes" so they go buy her some more of it and that's when Tammy decides she doesn't like it anymore. It does seem she's being a fussy eater.
The weight loss she's having is only very very small, it's just that they have been keeping an eye on her so much later that they have noticed more.
Thanks again
sallyann
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Tom Cat

I have heard a lot of people having luck with Merrick pet foods. Some say their cat wont eat anything but that food. Who knows you might want to give it a try.
www.merrickpetcare.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page