Raw Food and other food choices... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Raw Food and other food choices...

Last week while I was picking up a bag of cat food for Murray, I happened to notice a freezer in my pet store which stated that they'd soon be carrying Frozen Raw Food for both Dogs and Cats. I'm aware that many folks consider a Raw diet to be the best diet to feed dogs and cats but I don't know the first thing about it.
Right now Murray is being fed Natural Balance Dry..the one in the Pink bag and seems to like it. I don't care much for it as it gives him some awful smelling breath, like garlic or something..yuck! I know there are quite a few folks here who also feed Natural Balance dry food. Anyway, back to the main reason for this post.
The Frozen Raw food that will soon be availiable is called Nature's Variety Prarie. It comes in both Patties and Medallions. Anyone out there have experience with this food? Should I consider switching Murray to it? Is it safe to feed raw like that? I would think they could catch any number of diseases from raw meats. I'm so lost.
My choices for cat food are as follows...any recommendations for my two and a half year old, 8 lb, moderately active kitty would be appreciated.

*Typical Grocery Store JUNK..I refuse to feed this
*Science Diet (Both Dry and Wet)
*Royal Canin Dry
*Felidae (Both Dry and Wet)
*Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul (Both Dry and Wet)
*Nutro (Both Dry and Wet)
*Natural Blend (Both Dry and Wet)
*Nature's Variety (Frozen Raw)
*Solid Gold Dry
*Merrick Wet
*Pro Plan Dry..not sure if there is wet availiable or not
*Eagle Pack (Both Dry and Wet)

Murray was raised on Royal Canin Dry the first year of his life. He was then switched to Solid Gold briefly until I purchased a bad bag of it and he stopped eating it. He was then switched to eating Merrick Wet with a bit of Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul Dry as a treat. He remained on that diet until I ran out of canned food and didn't have the money to get anymore, so he ate solely the Chicken Soup Dry food from then on. I recently stopped using the Chicken Soup food after the issue with Diamond Pet Foods. I know the Chicken Soup foods weren't affected but it scared me so I chose to stop use of that food. Murray is now on the Natural Balance (Pink Bag).

I've been trying to find a GOOD holistic food. I know that ultimately canned food is a better choice then dry kibble. I also know that raw food (based on what some folks say) is better then either of them. I'm worried about diabeties and short life span with the dry kibble and worried about the hyperthyroidism with the Canned. I'm very much a worry wart. I'm also worried about potential diseases from feeding Raw food so now what shall I do? Are there any economical alternatives that I can order online without spending two arms and a leg? Hubby and I can't afford more than $40 a month for cat food as we've also got a large breed dog to buy holistic food for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 07:57 AM

I feed all my bengals a raw diet. The product we use is called BRAVO.
Other than using the same precautions you would use for handling raw meat meant for human consumption, there are no problems using this food for your cats.
You must of course pick a reputable company to purchase the raw diet from. I haven't tried the company you mentioned, but haven't heard anything negative either.
Cats have a much different and faster digestive system than people and therefore aren't nearly as susceptable to bacteria as we are.
Being a breeder, I take every precaution to protect my bengals from any sort of harm and at the same time provide them with the very best of everything. I would never feed them anything that I felt would be detrimental in the short or long term. I am completely convinced that a raw diet is the very best food I can feed them and I have complete confidence in it.
It makes a huge difference in their overall health. Our vet visits consist of getting rabies shots and spay/neuters.....rarely anything else.
Their feces doesn't stink, no bad breath, clean teeth, shiny coats, amazing energy and best of all they LOVE to eat. No sniffing the plate and walking off with a disgusted look.

Here's a pic of Blaze, our 8 month old boy. You can see the quality of his pelt. In my opinion due entirely to his raw diet.
Disregard my arrow with the "heater" text. That was for another post.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Another raw feeder here

I feed a pre-made product similar to Natures Variety, and am VERY happy with it! My only problem with Natures Variety specifically is that it uses some rather odd vegetables and fruits that cats would most likley NEVER encounter in their natural diet (like persimmons and bok choy?). Then again, I don't know if there would be any negative effects of those ingredients, or if it's just me finding them odd

I do like that it's 95% meat, organs and bone and only 5% vegetable matter. Cats as carnivores need very little in the way of veggies (if any at all, as some argue) and I like that proportion. The one I feed is 85% to 15% and that's the best I can find around here without making it myself.

There is no reason to be concerned about bacteria as long as you use the same "safe handling practices" that you would use for your own meat. Cats digestive systems are *meant* to digest raw meat, and the bacteria does not make them ill.

I like the convenience of a pre-made raw, because you get the benefits without the hassle of making it, packing it, etc. It's nice for those who want to do the best that they can for their cats, but lead a busy lifestyle, or are squeamish about meat.

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 10:43 AM

Nature's Variety is a good brand of wet food. I'm sure the raw food is fine. I don't really get what's different though. Seems like it's very similar to the wet food, with a few ingredients like yogurt that might spoil in a thawed wet food can. The bones are still ground and many of the other ingredients are similar.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder
Nature's Variety is a good brand of wet food. I'm sure the raw food is fine. I don't really get what's different though. Seems like it's very similar to the wet food, with a few ingredients like yogurt that might spoil in a thawed wet food can. The bones are still ground and many of the other ingredients are similar.
Canned food is processed. The ingredients are left overs from meat packing plants and then fillers and flavoring is added. When a can says it has chicken in it......is it breast meat or a ground chicken foot? Who knows?

The raw food that I feed, is the entire animal. Everything except the fur or feathers & intestinal tract. Flesh, Organs, Bones & Blood. It's not cooked or processed in any way, so all the vitamins and nutrients are in place and not altered by heat
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 03:11 PM

I agree that true raw food is better. What I don't get is why this particular raw food in question is better. You still have no idea what parts are being used. It's kind of like canned vegetables versus frozen vegetables, both from green giant.

But, I should note that your description of canned food is not true of ALL brands.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 04:06 PM

I agree that some brands of canned food are better than others. Wysong makes a canned food that I would be willing to feed my cats, should raw not be available. There may be others, but I have not researched all the brands of canned.
I think that vast majority of canned cat foods are not made from the best ingredients. Imagine how much the cost would be per can if the ingredients were top notch. I spend $170 per week to feed my cats a raw diet. That's for 12 adults and 6 kittens on average.

As for the raw food in question.........I haven't used that brand. I can only speak of the results I've gotten from the BRAVO brand that I use. I suppose the "nature's variety" brand could be comprised of "junk", but that would go against the raw food mantra. I don't think it'd be good for their business.
I guess I don't quite get your analogy.
The brand the OP was questioning only makes raw food. I don't think they offer a canned version.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 04:38 PM

Maybe I misread. I thought the question was about this company's raw food:

http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1352
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 06:14 PM

Ah, so they do make canned food. I stand corrected. That does pose an interesting question about the difference.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 06:19 PM

Yeah, I had misread above and thought he was including the canned version as a possibility. They have the canned stuff at my local pet store. It's kind of pricey. The venison is over $2.00 per can. How much is the frozen stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page