Pupils are still dialated - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Pupils are still dialated

Hi there,

This is my first time to this chat...please bare with me

Two days ago I took my cat in for what was supposed a routine dental cleaning. He is 12 and was a diabetic (but we changed his diet and he was only on insulin for 3 months -- all is well in that area).

Apparently the Vet said he had a bad reaction to a standard medication (not the anasthesia) used in dental procedures. She had never seen anything like it...his temp. spiked, he began open mouth panting...they took x-rays of his heart and lungs, iced and wet him down to get his temp. to drop..kept him in over night and we were finally able to take him home.

He appeared out of it due to the sedatives etc. his eating habits appear normal, he's very mellow (but was extremely stressed so I would assume this is to be expected, and he is pretty laid back to begin with) but for some reason his pupils are STILL dialated. His eyes look black -- with light or without.

Does anyone know anythign about this? I told the Vet and she said she had never heard of this before -- but could be because most people may not notice a thing like that and just report their cats as being fine after a procedure. Am I just being paranoid? While I think she is a great Vet, I am extremely hesitant to bring him back in...he seems to be a-typical in all areas (for ex. he has an extremely low thyroid..very unusual in a cat apparently and no one can tell me why but as it has never really seemed to afect him...I'm told not to worry).

Now a routine procedure turns into THIS. Any advice...thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 10:47 AM

How long has it been? Once in a while my cats have dilated pupils after anesthetics and a long visit to the vet. Usually they are extremely lethargic to the point of being scary, and then a day or two later recover.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Premier Cat

Welcome to the forum, Karen. So sorry to hear about your cat.

I'm going to move your post over to the Health and Nutrition forum for you. Hopefully, someone there will have additional thoughts to offer.

Best of luck to you and your kitty.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:49 AM

If the pupils are still dilated when you read this, please call a veterinary ophtalmologist for advice.

Veterinary ophtalmologists:
http://www.vmdb.org/clinic.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page