My cat looks sick :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

My cat looks sick :(

Hi everyone,
My cat Roxy (who is normally wide eyed and alert) is not herself lately. She is lethargic and doesn't look like she is focusing her eyes most of the time. She has some "gunk" coming from her eyes as well. She has been sleeping lots and when we woke her up today she seemed to have no sense of balance for a little while after she got up. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for your help!!

Roxy's Worried Mom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 01:29 AM

Is your kitty eating? Using the bathroom? I suggest you take your cat to the vet right away. It's hard to tell what's wrong with your cat. It can be a symptom of many different things. It may be serious, but it may not be. The only way to find out is by taking your cat to the vet. Goodluck. Our thoughts are with you! Please keep us updated.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

My cat looks sick :(

Thanks for your message. She seems to be eating & using the litter box, but I'll have to keep an eye on that. She still purrs when I pet her & came to lick the bowl when I had ice-cream which I think are good signs. I think I'll see how she does over the weekend. If it worsens I'll take her to the vet this weekend, but if not I'll take her on Monday. Wish us luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
My cat Roxy (who is normally wide eyed and alert) is not herself lately.
Time duration of 'lately' is enough of a clue to suggest you take her to the Vet right away, things do get worse the longer you wait.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy
Quote:
My cat Roxy (who is normally wide eyed and alert) is not herself lately.
Time duration of 'lately' is enough of a clue to suggest you take her to the Vet right away, things do get worse the longer you wait.
AMEN!!!!!

Oh, and don't leave the vet unless you get an accurate diagnosis and treatment recommendation.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Re: My cat looks sick

Along with your advice and my own intuition, we are going to take her to the vet today. I think we all know that when we get a nagging feeling that something is wrong with our pet, most of the time we are right to trust our instincts. And I believe you are totally correct in saying that problems don't get any better with time, so away we go...I will keep you updated. Thanks again!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 03:02 PM

I'm glad you decided to take your cat to the vet! I hope it's nothing serious. Please keep us updated. My thoughts are with you!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2006, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Hi all,

Just an update on Roxy. The vet said that she is constipated and may have an infection, so he gave her a shot of antibiotics and some Cefa-Drops (antibiotics) to bring home, plus Vitalax for the constipation. She wasn't too happy about the whole thing but hopefully this will fix her up!

I appreciate your advice. If anything else happens I will let you know. Thanks people!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Here's another update...
Roxy was not able to have any bowel movements even with the laxative from the vet. She wasn't eating either. We took her in again on Tuesday and they sedated her and gave her an enema. They did blood tests and found that her liver function is a bit off. Her cholesterol is fine, glucose level is fine, just has some elevated enzymes. The vet said the main thing is to get her to eat again. I've tried everything I can think of but none of her usual favorites are appealing to her. Not even tuna! I've tried warming some of the food a bit as well. I'm really hoping we don't have to traumatize her anymore by taking her to the vet, she hates going SO much! Any ideas on how to get her to eat without forcing it? Thanks.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 02:24 AM

The symptoms sound like what happened to our cat, Fry. I'm not saying that this is what's causing your cat's problems, but you might want to make your vet aware of this possible sitaution.

It sounds like your cat might have eaten something and it's not stuck in her intestine. Ask your vet if they can take an xtray of your cat's abdomen. My cat, Fry, had similar sypmtoms. It turned out he swallowed something that he was not suppose to. A part of his intestines collapsed onto each and the vet needed to operate on him right away. After two weeks of recovery, our Fry is doing better.

Is your cat drinking some water? If not, I would ask the vet if you can give your cat fluids subcateneously to prevent dehydration.
Goodluck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page