Call the vet? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Call the vet?

Beaver had his shots Saturday morning. Now, two days later, he's so sore in the one shoulder he got one shot in, he's limping. He won't let me touch him there and he hisses and spits when I wrangled him to check him, when I say he won't let me, that doesn't mean I won't still do it. He is extremely sore. He's very tired and not eating as much, though he is eating and I can get him to play some. Do I need to call the vet? You think he needs something for the pain? It seems extreme. I wasn't there, hubby took him. He said they gave all his shots in his bum and the one shot in his shoulder. I've never heard of one they give in the shoulder. It wouldn't even seem logical(I grew up on a farm and give my own shots usually.) We give under the skin shots between the shoulder blades and muscle shots in the rump. The skin on the shoulder isn't loose enough and there's not much meat there. I don't know if it was a sub q or a muscle shot. My hope is it wasn't a muscle shot as it might have hit bone. There's no lump and it isn't hot like an infection or reaction to the meds. I just do not know what it is as I've never delt with this reaction before. We've had allergic reactions, lumps under the skin Permanently from injections, hot spots, and a hit siatic nerve before but not this. Any advice???
Thanks,
Bam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 11:47 AM

A phone call can't hurt if you are concerned.

Hope your kitty feels better soon.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

He seems a bit better but not 100% this morning, I'll call them and talk with a vet just in case though. He won't jump up on the bed or anything still, though he can jump to chairs(my bed is lifted tall). I'll let you guys know what he says...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Tom Cat

Sometimes when cats get their FVRCP aka Distemper, especially their first, they can come down with a kitty cold. This is not serious. They usually get over it with end a couple of days. Also if the vet hits a muscle with the needle then the cat tends to be sore for a couple of days. Any and or both could be what your cat is going through but it doesn't hurt to ask the vet.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 05:48 PM

I would call the vet.
To me it sounds like what humans feel like after a tetnus shot. Like Chris said, if the vet hit a muscle it's probably normal.
But, I always feel better calling and having them tell me it's nothing to worry about
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 08:56 PM

Lewis and Wallace had their shots a couple of weeks ago. Wallace didn't eat for a day and a half and slept the whole time and Lewis was quite sore. He didn't limp but when I picked him up he meowed like I had hurt him. It took about 3 days for that to go away.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Premier Cat

Bam, any news?

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

He's completely better! He had been sleeping with my daughter instead of me because if he got down at night, he couldn't get back up but he was still in bed this morning. He doesn't seem to be limping anymore. It does seem to be from the shots, thank goodness as I was getting worried. Thank you guys for all the help. It was appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page