Poor sick poundkitty. :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Poor sick poundkitty. :(

Well on thursday me and my girlfriend adopted a super friendly grey striped tabby cat from the pound (I had my eye on this cat for about a month and a half because I was going to the pound on a weekly basis on the off chance that a cat we had that ran away might end up there) so finally we picked him up and brought him home. He is the most insanely affectionate cat I know, we named him "Pan" after the Roman Goat-god because one two occasions the day we brought him home he actually lept up to butt heads with me when I was sitting in my chair. I mean full midair head collisions . So we baught him, and had the shelter take him to the vet to be "snipped" the next day because we have an as-of-yet unfixed female cat at the house right now. So we picked him up around 4:00 and he was fine, perfectly friendly... the next day I go to work and come home and my girlfriend says he's sick, he's puked like five times in the day, to where he didn't have anything more to puke up, and just kinda layed around all day, thinking that he was just sick. but the next day he still had hardly eaten anything and was lethargic, so we decided to take him to the vet. The vet says he shows signs of Feline Distemper, vomiting, diarreah... except he doesn't have a high temperature, its actually kinda low for felines... around the mid 99s. I'm just really hoping it isn't distemper, and if it is I hope he gets through it... I just think it would really be unfair for this poor kitty to spend months at the pound, and finally find a home only to have to be locked in a cage again at the vet 2 days later and die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Cool Cat

Well hopefully you've got a good Vet to work with, your doing a good job for him and I would hope your efforts pay off for all of you.

Hope you can find your other cat too, you've put alot of effort into that too.

I rescued the nicest cat that was lost in my neighbor hood but had to surrender him to the pound because he scared my cat so bad she wouldn't come out of the bathroom and I was afraid she'd mess in there.

Good luck, welcome to the forum too, it's a great place to get info and advice.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2006, 11:52 PM

I hope Pan turns out to be ok. It sounds like he was meant to be with you. Lets hope it ends up not being serious and he recovers quickly. I'll watch for updates on him.

Hope you find your other cat. Best of luck to you .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Cool Cat

Poor Pan...

I have a few questions for you...

Did the pound/shelter give you any vaccination records when you adopted him? If he'd been there for over a month, he should have had some kind of vaccinations (a rabies and at least the first shot of an adult distemper series, if not both). Have you been able to notify the shelter that the cat may possibly be showing symptoms of Distemper? If not, please do, so they can take steps to contain any possible outbreak, as it's a VERY contagious disease that can devastate a shelter's cat population.

Has your unspayed female had all her shots? If not, you'll want to let your vet know so he can plan accordingly and tell you any signs of trouble to watch for.

Did Pan by any chance have a bad fall before or after you adopted him? The low body temperature combined with lethargy, anorexia, and severe vomiting, reminds me of my cat's initial pancreatitis episode (most cat diseases present with similar symptoms, but the low temperature made me think of pancreatitis...my cat's ears and paws were absolutely icy to the touch when she was sickest). Cats that fall from a great height can develop acute pancreatitis, certain parasites can cause it as well, though most other cases are of no known origin. If the distemper diagnosis doesn't hold up, bloodwork might be a logical step to rule out other diseases and infections.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Cat Addict

sending hugs and prayers!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Vet just called, apparently he just died. poor kitty
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Cool Cat

So sorry for you all, hope he is peaceful now.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 06:57 PM

So sorry . How sad .
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

god i feel horrible... all the times I went in there he kept meowing at me and rubbing against the cage trying to get my attention... he wanted me to take him so much...I should have gotten him out of there earlier...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 07:03 PM

That's so sad. I am very sorry for all of you. When I was reading your initial post I was so reminded of my Wallace. Big, long haired, ultra friendly, grey tabby kitty who loves to butt heads mid air too. When we brought him him home I was taken by total surprise by his big head butts. Anyway, he became very sick the next morning and took a week to recover. It seems that is common with shelter cats. I just feel so sad for you. Did the vet still think it may have been distemper? I thought the Humane Society gave all those shots. Again, I am so sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page